nelson freitas
nelson freitas,
Experience:  AutomotiveTechnician at brantford toyota
96947379

I have a 2012 Ford F-150 that constantly displays" tire

Customer Question

I have a 2012 Ford F-150 that constantly displays " tire pressure sensor fault" is there some way that I can disconnect this useless problem?
JA: Which particular sensor are you asking about? And have any trouble codes been triggered?
Customer: Don't know have limited money..have not taken to a dealer or even seem any trouble codes
JA: Are you fixing your F150 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes, didn't know what to check, so have not tried anything
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Has been this way for maybe the last 15,000 miles...now has 49,000 miles and is out of warranty
Submitted: 15 days ago.
Category: Ford
Expert:  nelson freitas replied 15 days ago.

My name is*****'m a Certified Auto Technician with over 12 years experience. I will do my best to help you.

It sounds like you have a problem with one or more of the tire pressure sensors. Un fortunatly without any specialized tools there isn't much you can do.

First I would start by checking the tire pressure of all of your tires including the spare, because sometimes there is also a sensor in the spare tire.

Then if you take it to your local garage or tire shop they should be able to quickly identify the problem. by the sounds of it you either have a faulty or damaged sensor, or it is possible that for some reason the tire pressure monitor system module has lost the wireless code for the sensor in the tire.

Unfortunatly there is no way to turn off the system, and I know that most sensors from a dealership can be quite expensive. But I do know that there are many reliable after market replacement TPMS sensors that are usually less than half of the price of the sensor from a dealership.

So unfortunately you wont be able to turn the light off without paying someone to inspect the system, but if you can live with the light or warning message on then you can just keep checking your tire pressures with each tank fill up to ensure they aren't losing air.

Hopefully this has answered your question,

Nelson

Also if you have found this information helpful, please leave feedback accordingly. Thank you

Expert:  nelson freitas replied 13 days ago.

Did you need any more help with your TPMS system?

Let me know if I can be of further assistance

Nelson

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Nelson, Your answer was fine......since I'm, not very knowledgeable about the TPMS system, after checking the tires and the spare (Have done this before, but will try again) (1) what aftermarket providers would you suggest? and (2) where is the TPMS sender/sensor switch located in order to replace it?Thanks
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
No, can't afford a $26 charge for this.......will research it myself
Expert:  nelson freitas replied 12 days ago.

the sensors are located inside of the tires, and are part of the valve stem. At the Dealership that I work at we use the Wurth brand of aftemarket TPMS sensors, and they work great. They can be programed to work with any vehicle. I know that these are approx 50$ each.

But as I mentioned before I would recommend having someone quickly diagnose which of the 4 TPMS sensors if the cause. And also it may even be just a case of relearning the 4 sensors you have to the vehicle if they are all operating correctly. Generally these sensors are only damaged when a tire is removed or installed from the rim. Have you recently had a flat tire repaired or new tires installed?

The way the system works is that it uses 4 different sensors each with a different output ID code. as mentioned before they are installed in the tire and they transmit the pressure to the vehicle. The TPMS module needs to be told the codes for your 4 sensors so that it does not pick up any readings from other cars around you. now unfortunately there is no way to test if a sensor is working unless you have a tool that will pick up these signals.

The only other piece of advice that I have is to check the sticker on the inside of the drivers door for the recommended tire pressure. Depending on the TPMS system the light may turn on even if the Tire pressures are too high.

I hope that I have been helpful in trying to help you come to a conclusion to your problem.

And if so could you please leave feedback accordingly, Thank you.

Nelson

Expert:  nelson freitas replied 9 days ago.

Thanks for using JustAnswer, please leave feedback to close out this ticket.

or

Let me know if I can be of any further assistance,

Thanks,

Nelson