Super Mechanic
Super Mechanic, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  GM, Ford, Chrysler, nissan, mazda...30 years. ASE Master, troubleshooter
2947720

The Power Steering on my Ford Fusion is not working... This

Customer Question

good afternoon... The Power Steering on my Ford Fusion is not working...
JA: When was the fluid last checked? Have you heard any whining noises while turning the wheel?
Customer: This is an Electronic Power Steering System, so there should be no need for fluid.
JA: What year is your Fusion?
Customer: 2012
JA: Are you fixing your Fusion yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have not tried anything as of yet. Was just looking to see if there are any standard things to check on before I started...
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No. Just need to know if there is a 'reset" or something I can do to get it back, or if I will need to replace an ECU or something... Would like to know if I can take it somewhere (other than a dealership) to see if I can see what the code error might be
Category: Ford
Expert:  Super Mechanic replied 7 months ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** you for visiting the site, I am reviewing your question and will reply shortly, thanks.

Do you know if the fuses for the EPAS are good?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Haven't checked them yet. That was going to be one of the first things I did check.
Let me do that...

Okay, thanks.

Let me just say that any money that you paid, or if you have a subscription, that money stays in your account until the answers are rated, (positive) regardless of how fast or how long it may take to get finished. You can FOLLOW UP AT ANYTIME, even after rating. Thanks.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
All fuses are good.I also tried a standard reset by disconnecting the battery and letting it sit for a while. No change...

I see, thanks.

Let me just say that any money that you paid, or if you have a subscription, that money stays in your account until the answers are rated, (positive) regardless of how fast or how long it may take to get finished. You can FOLLOW UP AT ANYTIME, even after rating.

That is normally in the steering module. There were some issues on quite a few of them and it might be covered by the manufacturer.

MANUFACTURER: Ford Motor Company

SUMMARY:
Ford Moor Company (Ford) is recalling certain model year 2011-2012 Ford Fusion vehicles without a 3.5L engine and Lincoln MKZ hybrid electric vehicles, 2011 Mercury Milan vehicles, 2011-2012 Ford Taurus, Ford Flex, Lincoln MKS, and Lincoln MKT vehicles equipped with a 3.5L GTDI engine and 2013 Ford Taurus, Ford Flex, Lincoln MKS, and Lincoln MKT vehicles equipped with any available engine. The affected vehicles have electric power steering assist systems that may shut down as a result of a steering motor sensor fault.

CONSEQUENCE:
If the vehicle experiences a loss of power steering assist, extra steering effort will be required at lower speeds, increasing the risk of a vehicle crash.

Please don’t forget to rate the answer in a positive way, . EVEN IF YOU HAVE A SUBSCRIPTION ****THAT IS THE ONLY WAY I GET PAID **** Thanks