Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

I installed a push button start system RFID that i bought on

Customer Question

I installed a push button start system RFID that i bought on ebay.American 2001 Ford escort ZX2 178k MTX
the diagram for this kit is in the picture and i connected the cables as stated in the webpage:
http://www.commandocaralarms.com/wiring/1998-2002/ford/escort/736.html
(checked with a multimeter too)so , i installed everything and test , first try engine start, then i press the button and then it turns off, was so excited, i press start again, then i turn the car off again, then again start then again turn it off all consecutively all working great until the fourth time i did it.
. the fourth time i started it with the button, smoke started to come out the passenger front side near the wiper fluid reservoir then the rpms dropped and the car died.i tried to start it again, just using the key as normal.. it starts, rpms go up as normal when you start it, 1 second later they go down to zero and car dies. as of now it keeps doing that same thing, of course if i give it gas before it dies, then the engine keeps going as long as i am giving it gas but if i stop giving it gas, it will die.something happened in the 4th consecutive start , that made that smoke come out because when the smoke came out was when the car started to drop rpm and died. until the fourth start the car started as normal.the push start system box show no signs of any short and there was not smoke or anything at all happening other than that smoke that happened only the fourth time of consecutive start .now what i am thinking is that i may have overloaded the whatever circuit by starting it and turning it off so quickly with the push button starter but don't know what is a good place to start?smoke seemed like it came from near the passenger side and it was quick and short, by the time i got out of the car and went to see where the smoke was coming from, it had dissipated and i could not find the source, the starter sounds strong, battery voltage good, all fuses in hood and driver's side are good, if you turn the key to acc and on it works as normal and it starts and normal but dies within 1 or 2 seconds of engine engaging. though if i give it gas, the engine stays alive but as soon as i let go, rpm drops and it dies.where in the circuit could i start looking for whatever thing may have "fried"Car is well maintained and was running amazingly great before this push start fiasco. lol
Submitted: 23 days ago.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Pete replied 23 days ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

Most likely the start circuit was over loaded with the repeat attempts or remote starting as this should not be done.it is recommended to only do this twice in most cases until you use the key to start the engine again.

Unfortunately it is difficult to say for sure from here where this smoke/damage is at.I would inspect all wiring around the smoke areas and see if any wiring is found to be damaged in any way needing repaired.I would also check fuse panels for any shorted or damaged wiring or fuse panels themselves needing repaired or replaced.If this is or was checked already and found to be o.k. let me know so we can continue.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete