A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, ASE Advanced Gasoline Engine Performance
14865528

2011 mustangt i have a p1636 code,inductive signiture chip

Customer Question

2011 mustangt i have a p1636 code,inductive signiture chip communication error,dealer installed a new pcm,but it will not let the car start,automatic transmission is in limp mode,only has 3rd gear.
Submitted: 15 days ago.
Category: Ford
Expert:  david craig replied 15 days ago.

Hi Im David,

The P1636 code indicates the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) has lost communication with the inductive signature chip. you need to get it back to the dealer and have them do their job and rechip the key to the pcm.

Expert:  david craig replied 14 days ago.

do you still need assistance?

Expert:  david craig replied 13 days ago.

checking in to see how its going

..

Expert:  A. Penland replied 12 days ago.

The code P1636 is for a faulty PCM (Engine Computer). If there are no other trouble codes, the PCM will need to be replaced and the keys to the vehicle reprogramed to the vehicle. If the code was not there before they replaced the PCM, they will need to make sure the new PCM is not internally failing. They also need to make sure they have properly programed the PCM to the vehicle and that it is the proper (correct) PCM for your vehicle.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
guys at ford dealer are not through,got a p1636 code,they said the pcm was bad,i found the problem, it was the fuse powering the pcm had a loose connection on 1 side causing the automatic transmission to go into limp mode,3rd gear only, & high line pressure which made it bang into drive or reverse,& when the pcm got full voltage the p1636 code went away so it didn`t need the pcm
Expert:  A. Penland replied 4 days ago.

Glad you found the problem, with your Mustang. I do work around a lot of mechanics as I call them at my dealership that basically through parts at the vehicle instead of actually locating the problem. Yours needed actual hands on as we have seen a lot of wiring connector pin fitment issues in these 2010 and up Fords and Lincolns.