Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

I JUST REPLACED THE CAT BANK 2 P0430 & EGR VALVUE P0401, ON

Customer Question

HELLO I JUST REPLACED THE CAT BANK 2 P0430 & EGR VALVUE P0401, ON MY 98 FORD CONTOUR 2.5 V6. NOT EVEN 1 DAY OF DRIVING & P0401 CAME BACK & NOW P0420 BANK 1. I NEED TO PASS INSPECTION. DO I NEED TO CHANGE THE OTHER CAT ?
JA: Okay, I'll connect you to the mechanic to go over that information regarding your Ford Contour. Before I do, is there anything else you want him to know?
Customer: ALL O2 SENSORS ARE ONLY 2 YEARS OLD. THATS HOW I PASSED LAST TIME.
Submitted: 22 days ago.
Category: Ford
Expert:  david craig replied 22 days ago.

Hi Im David, you need to have a back pressure test done on the exhaust system to see if the cats are clogged. this is mandatory for your situation.

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
THEY DID THAT AT THE SHOP WHEN THEY REPLACED THE BANK 2 CAT & EVERYTHING CHECKED OUT OK.

well if everything checked out ok, then why would you ask if you need to replace the other cat? apparently you either have wiring issues or a mechanic that doesnt know what he's doing.

let me get you the possible causes of the codes you have.

P0401 FORD - Exhaust Gas Recirculation Flow Insufficient Detected Possible causes - EGR passage clogged - Faulty EGR Vacuum Modulator Valve - Faulty EGR Valve - Faulty EGR solenoid valve - EGR solenoid valve harness is open or shorted - EGR solenoid valve circuit poor electrical connection - Dead (Weak) battery - Faulty EGR temperature sensor and circuit - Exhaust gas leaks

P0420 FORD - Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold Bank 1 5 | Add Comment Possible causes - Three way catalyst converter Bank 1 - Exhaust tube - Intake air leaks - Fuel injectors may be faulty - Fuel injector leaks - Spark plugs may be faulty - Improper ignition timing - Engine Control Module

apparently your mechanic just likes to replace parts without knowing that they are bad or looking at other possible causes.

I would have all the above things tested and confirmed good or bad before throwing more parts at your vehicle. I dont like to see people wasting their money.

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
THE ROUTE CAUSE WAS BANK 2 WICH IS NOW FIXED. MY NEW PROBLEM IS BANK 1. COULD THERE BE SOMTHING ELSE MAKING CODE P0420 BANK 1 SHOW UP OR IS IT THIS CAT.

Bank 1 Sensor 2 is turning on the p0420., but it could be telling the computer whatever is coming out of the cat isnt right. so i would replace the cat and sensor

Expert:  david craig replied 21 days ago.

checking in to see how its going

Expert:  david craig replied 20 days ago.

..

Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 19 days ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose), my normal schedule online is around lunch and after dinner till early morning.

Are you needing the directions to replace the faulty catalytic converter that the code you have indicates is needed?

What now

1. You have asked a question.
  2. You have paid a deposit and received an info request and or answer(s).
  3. Now it is time to follow up if needed or rate my answer, hopefully 5 STAR EXCELLENT. Sometimes the rating fails, responding with (I am a pleased) will suffice.
  4. You are more than welcome to still follow up. I want you pleased with me and my answer(s).

Thanks for using Just Answer, and rating me so I am compensated, Chris

Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 17 days ago.

Hello again Chris here,

• Sorry you were not pleased with my help.
  • What would you like to do regarding your question now.
  • This post is coming up on the 7 day mark where it times out. When a post times out, that means it's no longer on my active list (you reply and I may never know it.)

Thanks Chris