James, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master Tech, Ford gas and diesel expert, ASE Certified
74859263

I have a 2005 freestar and the overhead buttons and key fob

Customer Question

I have a 2005 freestar and the overhead buttons and key fob buttons are not working for the power sliding doors. The rear buttons work for it thoough
JA: Have you checked the fob's battery?
Customer: Yes, it locks and unlocks doors no problem
JA: Are you fixing your Freestar yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I tried turning the key on and off 8 times and pressing the buttons on the key fob and the doors are unlocking and locking like they should during this process but I still get nothing when trying to press the overhead buttons and the key fob buttons to open the doors
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Ford
Expert:  James replied 6 months ago.

Hello, these are disabled by a different fault being set in the smart junction box. I will show you the information to correct it. You can attempt to disconnect the battery for 10 minutes in order to reset the code and see if the overhead buttons begin working.

Using a diagnostic scan tool, check the SJB for DTC C1999.

1. If C1999 is present, attempt to clear the DTC and check for codes again. If the DTC clears, confirm that the overhead console and RKE fob open/close buttons are functional. Perform a SJB self test and see if the C1999 sets again. If the DTC does not return and the components are functional, no further repair is necessary return the vehicle to the customer.
  2. If C1999 will not clear, or the DTC sets again during self test, diagnose for possible cause as follows:
    1. Check for shorts to ground on SJB connector 2280D, for circuits at Pins 8, 9 and 22 (Pinched wires).
    2. Check for open circuits on SJB connector 2280D, for circuits at Pins 8, 9 and 22 being open at the same time (The SJB 2280D connector may be disconnected, while the SJB has power applied from the 2280H connector).
    3. Check for an open SJB fuse (F11) or bussed electrical center (BEC) fuse (58) resulting in power loss to the power sliding door module and/or power liftgate module.

Perform repairs as required.

NOTE:THE DTC C1999 WILL NOT CLEAR WHEN CYCLING THE IGNITION FROM OFF TO RUN TO OFF. A DIAGNOSTIC SCAN TOOL MUST BE USED TO CLEAR THE DTC AND RE-ENABLE THE OPEN/CLOSE FUNCTION AFTER THE FAULT CONDITION IS REPAIRED.

Expert:  James replied 6 months ago.

If you have further questions please let me know. Also please remember to rate my answer so that I receive credit for assisting you.