Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Toyota mastertech
Experience:  master tech at Toyota dealer
24571351

I have a 1996 ford f350 with rear drums but I cant find

Customer Question

I have a 1996 ford f350 with rear drums but I cant find anything on the backing plates? Mine is rusted and cant find a new one
JA: Are you fixing your F350 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes I am. Well I have the tire taken off, once I took off the drum all the shoe assembly fell off. looks like someone tried welding the top part together but it broke off
JA: How old are the tires? And have they been a problem in the past?
Customer: the tires look good, I just got the truck maybe a year or so ago when I started having brake problems, So far i've changed master cylinder, brake booster front brakes and driver caliper and brake pedal goes to the floor
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: well I also changed another part but I cant remember what it is called. I think it was the abs unit
Submitted: 23 days ago.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Peter Bagley replied 23 days ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer. I value your input to my questions so I can help you better.It will be hard to find backing plates for that year as usually items like that are dealer own items and they usually have a cut off period that they supply parts for. So what I would suggest as I have in the past is instead of wasting gas running around .phone your closest dealer and have them check for availability at other dealers for you as they are hooked up to all via network. If no luck there you can do the same with used parts wreckers as well. Then if all else fails there is Ebay , and Amazon. This is the problem when we take care of vehicles and last that long parts get scarce. Hope this helps you find those parts you need.

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
well I called dealer and they don't sell anymore neither do auto parts. I called a junk yard and they said it comes with the whole rear end

I guess that leaves you with trying those online sights I posted , as well as trying to post your own online requests on restoration forums. check those sights I sent. That's what I said happens when we keep them that long. best of luck.

Expert:  Peter Bagley replied 20 days ago.

Just checking in to see if you need further help. If not could you please take the time to rate my help.Thank you.

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Well I still don't know ow where to buy these plates? A junkyard asked me to measure the length of the differential and something else but I don't know ow what they mean.

Some times junk yards are a little lazy if they don't see a big profit in taking things off themselves to sell . I have run into that several times. So the best thing to do is to phone around to your closest wreckers and ask if they have a vehicle like yours for parts and if they allow you to remove parts your self (A LOT DO) it's called " PICK YOUR OWN PARTS." Did you try the links I sent you And going on forums for older vehicle's?

Actually try the last link I sent you first because they brag about their inventory for FORD parts. Best of luck.