EricFromCT
EricFromCT, Ford Technician
Experience:  20 years dealership exp., ASE A1-A9 L1 L2, Ford Lincoln Mercury Senior Master, Diesel Certified
34559540

I have a 2004 F-150. It has an aftermarket remote starter

Customer Question

I have a 2004 F-150. It has an aftermarket remote starter hooked up to a universal transponder bypass express kit. I installed a new battery in the truck and the alarm kept going off. I normally can press the key unlock button on the fob to the remote starter and it'll shut off. This time it didn't. I pulled the fuse the the horn so I could diagnose the issue. The four ways were blinking so I knew the alarm was still on. I tried starting the truck but it didn't turn the alarm off. I unplugged the remote starter (the plug that goes to the remote starter box) and now the ignition doesn't turn on, the truck won't start, there's no sounds when turning the key, not even the fuel pump. The dome lights, headlights and radio all work. I checked all my fuses and they look good. I've been trying to figure this out for a week. Any ideas on what can shut down the ignition, starter and fuel pump? I tried looking for any loose wires. I figured if the remote starter didn't work from me unplugging it, it should at least come on when I use the key in the ignition?
Submitted: 17 days ago.
Category: Ford
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 17 days ago.

Hi. I would also think the truck should still start from the key without the remote start. But check the theft light on the dash. If it comes on for 3 seconds then goes out, or blinks rapidly after the key is turned on. Let me know about the theft light.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Oh yeah I forgot to mention that. It blinks every few seconds, not rapid. I thought it could of been PATS or something but it doesn't blink fast and I noticed other vehicles that PATS locked out, the ignition would at least come on...

It blinks every few seconds when the key is out. If the ignition is turned on then it does what I mentioned.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
If the key is on (no ignition power when key is turned all the way), the security light blinks normal pace (every few seconds). Also, no chime sound when key is in ignition
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
No matter what key position it is in when inside the ignition, theres no power at all and no chime. It's like having a totally dead battery. The mileage displays though but that's it for the dash.

Ok. That is wierd. does sound like an issue with something being unplugged under the dash. I think it would be a good idea to try making sure everything is plugged back in. And make sure the fuses are all good if you think you need to do that. Then disconnect the battery negative cable for a minute. Then turn the ignition key ON. When the key is ON, reconnect the battery negative cable and see what happens.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Nothing... Still no power. The disc player resets but no ignition power, no starter, no fuel pump, no chimes

You should make sure all the fuses inside the truck and under the hood are good. Then you may have to remove the starter/alarm completely in case it is malfunctioning.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
I attached a picture... Do you know what it is? It's under the dash. The button pushes in and comes out when you release it. Is it factory or something else?

That is the brake switch. Should be installed into a bracket. Where the rod touches the brake pedal or the clutch pedal. It installs with a 1/4 turn.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Are there any plugs located under the dash that would disconnect power to the dash and starter if unplugged?

Maybe only connectors that plug into the fuse box. Which I think is on the drivers side on an 04.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
The fuse box is on the passengers side under the glove box. I checked the fuses again. The only one that is out is the cigarette lighter. As for the relays, I don't know how to check them unless I swap them around with other ones.
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
That fuse also goes to the code reader plug. That makes me wonder if a code reader would work, even with no power to ignition.
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
I just read that odds are in my case, it's some fuse that runs from the dash wires to the starter. Are there fuses or relays under the hood that could relate to this issue?

Yes there are ignition fuses.Interior panel fuse 28, fuse 102. I think your model year does not even have a fuse box under the hood. You can double check me though, and if it does check all the fuses.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
It has a small box with a few relays, but it's all for 4wd and drl.

Ok. Just double check all the fuses in the interior fuse box. Specifically the ones I mentioned. Perhaps there is an issue with the ignition switch on the column if nothing is turning on with the key. If the fuses are good, then you will probably at least need to remove the trim around the column and see whats going on, and perhaps even start to remove the alarm/remote starter and get things back to original. But if this all started after replacing battery I would suspect a fuse or the alarm module is not working properly.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Yeah, I'm hoping it's a fuse issue because there's a million wires with the starter and I looked into how to put it back to original but it's real messy. I did notice the wires were spliced into the original wires. Nothing was cut off from the original wiring, just added to them.

Yeah I agree. I would think completely disconnecting all connectors on the starter module should get things back to normal if the module was unplugged. But if not you'll have to get a test light and we'll have to start checking for power at various spots.