kalamykid
kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech
Experience:  I HAVE OWNED MY OWN SHOP FOR OVER THREE YEARS. I HAVE THE TOOLS AND SOFTWARE TO ANSWERE ALMOST ANY Q
5629372

My 2004 Ford explorer limited keeps blowing the number 41 15

Customer Question

My 2004 Ford explorer limited keeps blowing the number 41 15 amp fuse please help
Submitted: 23 days ago.
Category: Ford
Expert:  kalamykid replied 23 days ago.

What fuse box is this fuse in, the one under the dash or the one under the hood?

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
Under the hood
Expert:  kalamykid replied 23 days ago.

IN the diagram below, what fuse is blowing?

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
F141
Expert:  kalamykid replied 23 days ago.

The first thing you need to do will be to inspect the o2 sensors and there wires. Unplug all of the o2 sensors and see if the fuse will still blow. There are 4 o2 sensors on this truck.

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
Ok where are they located?
Expert:  kalamykid replied 23 days ago.

There are two on each side of the truck. Let me see if I have a diagram for there locations for you. They will be in the exhaust pipes one before and one after the cats on each side.

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
Ok did that still blowing the fuse it starts and blows immediately
Expert:  kalamykid replied 23 days ago.

If the o2 sensor wires are shorted out, then yes it will blow the fuse as soon as the engine is started. Here is a diagram for the locations for the o2 sensors.

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
Ok we got two of them off and it doesn't blow can we drive with them off?
Expert:  kalamykid replied 23 days ago.

If the fuse did not blow, then you need to find out what o2 sensor is blowing the fuse. Plug one of them back in and see if the fuse blows.

Expert:  kalamykid replied 23 days ago.

And no, you do not want to drive it with the o2 sensors unplugged. We need to find the problem and fix it.

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
Ok were working on that now
Expert:  kalamykid replied 23 days ago.

If the fuse blows, unplug that o2 sensor and plug the other one back up and see if the fuse blows again please.

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
Ok so he is still plugging them in once we find the one that is blowing do we just get a new one? How much do they run?
Expert:  kalamykid replied 23 days ago.

Yes. Once he knows which one is bad he needs to replace it. They run about $60.00. He needs to make sure to get on OE style and not a generic o2 sensor.

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
Ok we plugged each of them in one at a time neither of them is blowing the fuse now I'm so beyond lost! What do we do since neither of them is blowing?
Expert:  kalamykid replied 23 days ago.

Have him look at the wires for all 4 o2 sensors. One of them has to have a bad spot and hitting a ground shorting the wires out. When he was unplugging them he must have moved the wires off of the ground they where touching.

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
Ok he is going back under with a flashlight to try and find a bad spot
Expert:  kalamykid replied 23 days ago.

Let me know what he finds.

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
I sure will thank you
Expert:  kalamykid replied 23 days ago.

You are very welcome.

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
Ok we found one with a bare spot we can't afford the part right now could we use electrical tape for a week until next payday?
Expert:  kalamykid replied 23 days ago.

yes you can.

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
Ok great that's what we will do for now thank you. Have a great night
Expert:  kalamykid replied 23 days ago.

You are very welcome.