Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Shop Supervisor at County Fleet
62275574

2010 F150 5.4L oil light and check engine light. Previously

Customer Question

2010 F150 5.4L oil light and check engine light. Previously ford said had a scarred cam shaft.
JA: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?
Customer: stays on
JA: Are you fixing your F150 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: dealer told me I need a new engine. Have read where there may be a problem with oil sending unit
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: first started having problems about a year ago when in heavy traffic engine would go low idle and start shaking in the stop and go traffic. Fine when regular traffic. Eventually check engine came on and took to dealer. Tore the engine down and said need new engine because cam shart scarred. Cost $8K, said put it back together and drove it for 6k miles until now. They said the problem is that I didn't keep oil in engine, I say BS. Have read where there has been problems with oil sensing/sending unit. what do you think?
Submitted: 19 days ago.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Jared D replied 19 days ago.

To clarify, you have a new engine now but the oil light stays on. Did the dealer say that the new engine has damage also or just that the light is stuck on?

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
it is the same original engine. I bought new F150 in 2010.
Expert:  Jared D replied 19 days ago.

So what did they charge you $8k for 6k miles ago?

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
I did not have it repaired. I want to know if the oil sending unit is a valid problem?
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Oil and Check engine lights just came on about 18 hours ago.
Expert:  Jared D replied 19 days ago.

Oh Ok. I misunderstood. The oil sending unit's only function is to turn the oil light on and off. It might be the reason the oil light is on, but it would have no affect on the way the engine runs or whether the camshaft is damaged.

Have they told you what trouble codes are stored in the computer?

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
I can't answer that. If they did, it would be on my receipts. I am going to have a friend that does good work look at it and I was trying to get my facts straight for when I tell him what I think after referring to the dealership and an expert.
So dealership told me that there is a sensor on the 5.4 that tell the pump when to send oil to the heads.
Expert:  Jared D replied 19 days ago.

That sounds more like a VVT solenoid than a sending unit.

The problems that we have on all of these 5.4l engines (I have about 250 in my fleet) is either bad VVT solenoids or bad cam phasers. The problem is that bad VVT solenoids cause bad cam phasers which then cause bad timing chains and chain guides.

Expert:  Jared D replied 19 days ago.

It could score the cam if the engine was starved for oil, but the only thing that controls oil flow to lubricate the cam journals themselves is the oil pump. The VVT solenoids just allow oil to flow to the cam phasers which then control the ignition timing. They don't actually provide lubrication, just oil pressure operate the phaser.

Expert:  Jared D replied 14 days ago.

Please let me know if you need additional info.

Also, don't forget to rate. That's how Just Answer compensates us for our time.

Expert:  Jared D replied 7 days ago.
Please let me know if you need additional info.Also, don't forget to rate. That's how Just Answer compensates us for our time.