James, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master Tech, Ford gas and diesel expert, ASE Certified
74859263

I have a Ford Explorer 2001 and when I try to turn the

Customer Question

I have a Ford Explorer 2001 and when I try to turn the engine on the car starts honking and then after a while it turns off...what could be the problem
Category: Ford
Expert:  James replied 5 months ago.
Hello, this is caused by an aftermarket alarm system that has been installed on this vehicle at one point. If you look under the dash relook for a cluster of random wires that doesn't look nice from the factory. You will need to remove it in order to correct your concern.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have to remove all the wire? Do I have to rewire any other wires?
Expert:  James replied 5 months ago.

You will need to unplug it for the most part. When you find all of the wires usually is it a violet wire and violet with a stripe that is a starter cut off. You will need to splice these two wires together so the starter interrupt is gone. Unplugging the module will work though to get you going.