Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

My service engine soon light came on. What may have cause

Customer Question

my service engine soon light came on. What may have cause this light to come on and what should I do to repair what may have set it off?
JA: Do you have the trouble code? Do you have a code reader or scan tool?
Customer: no
JA: Not a problem. You can work with the Ford mechanic to figure that out. What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: 2003
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: It just came on a few days ago and no I'm not trying to fix it myself because I don't know where to start. And in this small town, we don't have a Ford dealership. the nearest town with a ford dearlership is about 50 miles away.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: What may have cause it to come on mainly. That way if it's something I can check on/fix without taking the chance on driving it to a ford dealership
Submitted: 22 days ago.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Dan replied 22 days ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'm here to help get your problem solved.

Expert:  Dan replied 22 days ago.

This light can come on or about 80 different reasons but if vehicle still runs fine then it is likely a emission problem. Have you noticed any difference in how it runs? Thanks.

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
It just came on a few days ago. I just bought this vehicle used about a week ago. So to me, it still seems like it runs the same so far. That's the reason I'm checking to see if this is a serious matter right away.
Expert:  Dan replied 22 days ago.

If it was anything serious it would be running terrible or making noises. At this point you need to have diagnostic codes checked which can be done at your local parts store for free. Once you get codes, write them down and let me know what they are. You can reply to this answer at any time without additional fees and with codes I can tell you common/possible problems, testing/repairs instructions, and costs. Let me know if you have more questions, thanks.