Master Auto Tech.
Master Auto Tech., master tech.
Experience:  A.S.E. Master technician. Over 20 years working on import & domestic. Owner/operator of an auto shop
17920890

05 expedition won't crank. Will start and run if jumped from

Customer Question

05 expedition won't crank. Will start and run if jumped from the starter solenoid. Replaced the starter, battery and ignition switch. Any ideas where I go from here?
JA: Have you checked the fuel supply? And are all the spark plugs working?
Customer: yes, when jumped the truck will run and drive perfectly. It just wont crank over with the key
JA: Are you fixing your Expedition yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes, new starter, new ignition switch, new battery and terminals checked all fuses and relays
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: not that I can think of
Category: Ford
Expert:  Master Auto Tech. replied 3 months ago.
I'm sorry you are having problems with your vehicle. I will try to help.I'm a full time mechanic and have been a mechanic for over 20 yrs and I work part-time here on JustAnswer to help you and others repair their own vehicles, and I get credited by your ratings.. So before leaving the site make sure and leave me a rating. You can still reply to me as many times as neeed, even after the rating.. I will need for you to be my hands and eyes since I'm not there.So there are a few possibilities. Most likely the starter relay or park neutral position switch on the transmission.I apologize, I wanted to make sure you got answered, but I am boarding a flight right now so if you have further questions on location and/or how to test them just reply and I'll answer back in around 2.5hrs. Or possibly another tech will respond in my absence.I strive to provide 5 star service. If I have satisfactorily answered your question please rate it as such and hit submit. Doing so is the only way I get compensated for my time. Also it doesn't close the discussion so we will still be able to communicate if there are further questions.
Thanks
Sonny
Here's a few tests for the relay:
1. Verify fuse F1-101 is not blown or missing. This fuse feeds the secondary side of the starter relay.2. If OK, pull the starter relay out of its socket, you will notice that the pins are numbered on the starter relay. Check cavity 30 for power from fuse F1-101 and repair the open if necessary.3. If OK, try swapping relays and retest or put a jumper wire in cavity 30 and momentarily jump it to cavity 87 that feeds power to the starter solenoid. If the engine cranks over, swap out the starter relay.4. If the engine still will not start, check C1026 for power in the crank position. This is the only connector between the starter and the starter relay. Repair the open wire between the connector and the starter relay.5. If power is good at C1026, repair the open circuit to the starter.
Do you still need help with this?
Please let me know.Did my advice help? If so would you leaving a positive rating for me?
But if you still need help please let me know and I'll continue to help.Thanks
Sonny

can I still be of assistance with this? or did my advice help?