Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

I have a no start problem it ran when parked and will start

Customer Question

i have a no start problem it ran when parked and will start with starting fluid but then dies
JA: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?
Customer: yes new battery
JA: What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: 1989 e 350 motorhome jayco
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: so far just new battery
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: need to know if it has 1 or 2 fuel pumps and relays
Category: Ford
Expert:  Pete replied 7 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

This model should have one pump.It is either in the fuel tank itself as originally installed or if bypassed it is located on the frame rail with the fuel feed line running from the fuel tank.It will usually be a small round or square pump.The fuel pump is very common to fail and cause this issue here.It creates no pressure causing this fault.I dont show the testing info on the relay for this operation or diagram but at the pump you will have one power and one ground.Both power and ground should be present when cranking over the engine.If you have power and ground at the pump and no fuel then the pump needs replaced.

Start at the front of the vehicle and locate the fuel feed line and follow it to the tank.If no fuel pump is in line then you still have the factory pump in the top of the fuel tank and in this case the tank will need removed to access it.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
can i bypass the relay to test?
Expert:  Pete replied 7 months ago.

Unfortunately an accurate test would be at the pump itself and due to the year of this model I dont show the exact location of the relay or the test points at the relay.But to be accurate you want to test at the pump.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here as this is how I receive credit for my time.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete