Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

My car is a ford Winstar 2005 I start it up but the engine

Customer Question

My car is a ford Winstar 2005 I start it up but the engine dies when I put it in gear
JA: Does the vehicle have a carburetor?
Customer: I do not know
JA: Are you fixing your Windstar yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No I am not, it is in the shop, I wanted to have some idea what could be wrong
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No just that it dies when put in gear
Category: Ford
Expert:  6Bucs replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is James.

When you shift into gear, does the engine stop abruptly with a bump feel, or does it sputter and die?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It stops abrubtly
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Would you call me on my home phone please. (###) ###-####
Expert:  6Bucs replied 4 months ago.

Without seeing the vehicle myself, the most common cause for the concern you describe is a locked up torque converter clutch in the transmission. It's supposed to slip at idle in gear, but when the friction clutches inside fail, they can stay locked, stalling the engine. Do you know if trouble codes have been checked in the processor?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No
Expert:  6Bucs replied 4 months ago.

Okay, if they relay that information to you, it would be helpful. Otherwise there are a number of engine control related possibilities here. First off, 2003 was the last year for the Windstar. Is it a Freestar, or possibly a different model year?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It is a Freestar
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Please call me at(###) ###-####