Dan, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Dealer Auto Technician
94707146

Single click when trying to start. Changed starter, battery,

Customer Question

Single click when trying to start. Changed starter, battery, alternator. Starter is getting hot when turning the key. 2004 ford explorer 4wd
JA: Have you changed a battery before?
Customer: Yes
JA: Are you fixing your Explorer yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes. Got it to turn over when tapping on alternator. Had it tested and it failed so replaced it. Still single click. Replaced battery because it wouldn't charge on charger. Changed out starter today. Also checked fuses.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 23 days ago.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Dan replied 23 days ago.

Hello my name is***** am an ASE Master Technician and I am glad to help you with your question.

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
Could it be a short in the positive wiring. Cleaned all connections and ground wires
Expert:  Dan replied 23 days ago.

Try to turn the engine over by hand with a breaker bar on the crank sprocket bolt. If the engine turns over I would next look at a voltage drop issue with the battery to starter cable or a ground issue.

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
We got it to turn over. I have also been told to check the flywheel. I will check the voltage drop in the morning. The starter was burning really hot until we clean the connections. Now it gets warm but no longer smokes.
Expert:  Dan replied 23 days ago.

I can send you a wiring diagram of the starting circuit from the service manual if you would like.

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
We have a wiring diagram. I am not comfortable with the wiring. I am just trying to exhaust all other issues before taking it in.
Expert:  Dan replied 23 days ago.

You could also remove the starter and check all teeth on the flywheel by turning the engine over by hand. You could also try jumping the starter solenoid and see if it will turn over.

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
This may sound stupid, but where is the solenoid?
Expert:  Dan replied 22 days ago.

The starter solenoid is attached to the starter. It is a part of the starter assembly and is not serviceable.