AMEDEE
AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN
Experience:  ASE CERTIFIED TECHNICIAN ADVANCED LEVEL SPECIALIST. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

Ford escape 2003;idle up and down and sometimes shots off;

Customer Question

ford escape 2003;idle up and down and sometimes shots off; have replaced ox sensors and MAF ; should I replace EGR valve next
JA: Does the engine stall right after starting? And what about hesitation or jerking during acceleration?
Customer: some times it jerks; most of the the time I have to view my guage
JA: Are you fixing your Escape yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: half and half I do what is most easily
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Ford
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 7 months ago.

Hello and welcome!

My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question.

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 7 months ago.

This idle condition you are experiencing is caused by either an air or a vacuum leak or a leaky fuel pressure regulator. Have you checked the regulator for leaks? How about fuel pressure?

Another possible cause would be a cracked or ripped air intake snorkle from the mass air flow sensor to the throttle body. This could cause a major air leak which would result in a severe lean condition.

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 7 months ago.

Look close around the intake manifold and throttle body gaskets as well as checking the vacuum hoses and lines for leaks and fix or replace any as needed.

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 7 months ago.

Here is a picture of the fuel pressure regulator. (right hand side of picture)

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 7 months ago.

I am glad I can help!

It has been a pleasure working with you. Please dont forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "5 STAR SERVICE" for assisting you today.

Keep in mind, we can still continue this conversation at no further cost to you even after you rate my answer. Just reply back to me using this page and I will get it and get back to you ASAP!

Also, if you are a member or if you have a subscription to the site, you still need to rate my answer in order for me to get credit for assisting you with your question.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.