Kenny Z.
Kenny Z., Ford Senior Master Tech
Experience:  Auto Trans, Drivability and Electrical Specialist
9600325

The instrument cluster was replaced by a dealer, everything

Customer Question

the instrument cluster was replaced by a dealer , everything works , except now the 3 switches info setup reset don't work , are they plugged into the back of the cluster in the wire harness or could they have unplugged them at some other location , the dealer who sold me the car refuses to do any more , should I go to ford Dealer
JA: What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: 2007 ford explorer sportrac
JA: Are you fixing your Explorer yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: we removed cluster to see if switches were unplugged , there is only a wire harness that plugs into back of cluster don't see any wires not plugged up
JA: Have you checked all the fuses? Do you have a wiring diagram?
Customer: dont know which fuses control these switches if any , dont have wiring diagram and online manual doesn't list any
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: instrument cluster was replaced by dealer , these 3 switches worked before cluster was replaced , ford dealer has downloaded computer , but has not worked on this problem as I didn't buy it from ford dealer
Submitted: 27 days ago.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 27 days ago.

Hello, my name is***** and thanks for your question.

This can be caused by having the incorrect cluster installed or incorrect as built data programmed into the cluster. Some of the base models did not have the message center controls. A Ford dealer will be able to retrieve the cluster as built data and verify the correct cluster is installed. They will also be able to scan the cluster for codes and verify the message center switch input is being received by the cluster.

If you are satisfied with your answer, please take a moment to rate my service as you see fit. Experts are not compensated without a positive rating. Providing a rating does not close the question, you can reply or ask additional questions without incurring further charges.

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
I could have taken it to the dealer without signing up for this