sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

I have a Ford Explorer 2007. I need to get a new backup

Customer Question

I have a Ford Explorer 2007. I need to get a new backup camera as the rear visibility is terrible.
I know its not the best but I have to settle for a $90 Peak Wireless camera from Walmart as I am a senior now on a low fixed income. The reviews are respectable and it certainly would be better than nothing.
I need to get a wire through tailgate to get to the brake lights. (It would be a license plate based camera) Once I get the wire from the outside license plate area, through the tailgate, and out through the top of the tailgate I am fine the rest of the way. I have no experience opening care panels etc.. I don't want to experiment and end up making a mess of it.
Can you help me how to understand how to get a wire through the tailgate to the top of the tailgate or refer me to instructions.
Category: Ford
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

Removing the liftgate trim panel isn't difficult. You'll find two screws at the handle, remove these. After the handle screws are removed then the panel is remove by sliding it to disengage the hooks that hold it to the liftgate. It slides upward, toward the top of the liftgate to disengage it. If the liftgate is fully open then you'd push it toward the front of the vehicle.

After it is disengaged from the liftgate you can disconnect the electrical connector and set the trim panel aside.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thanks. I have seen those 2 screws but have learned not to play around with stuff like that unless I know what I am doing. Many people have ended getting professional installation on these types of cameras.
Sounds like a piece of cake and I am already familiar with the taillight assembly.

You're welcome and good luck with the installation!