sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

Bb, On my ford F2 50 diesel, the exhaust filter doesn't seem

Customer Question

Bb
JA: What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: On my ford F2 50 diesel, the exhaust filter doesn't seem to completely clean out when he goes to the cleaning mode. I do a lot of city driving but even if I'm on the highway and see it go into that mode I try to run it hard to help it burn out. But nothing seems to work. Any suggestions? 2008
JA: How old is the engine? And when was it last serviced?
Customer: Original, in the last six months
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes and nothing I'm just trying to find away when it goes into the exhaust cleaning mode to help it accomplished what is trying to do
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, this is a pretty common issue with these vehicles so I'm sure they will know what I'm talking about
Category: Ford
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

The particulate filter will never be completely empty after a vehicle gets some miles on it. Regeneration burns soot and leaves ash behind, the ash builds up over time and eventually it will become enough that the particulate filter needs to be replaced - it's a consumable part.

Running the engine hard will create excess soot and is counterproductive to proper regeneration. City driving also creates large amounts of soot and not much low speed or idling can be tolerated without highway driving. I've seen particulate filters plug to 160% soot load in a single week of in town driving.

When it does start to regenerate all you need to do is continue to drive at a steady highway speed to allow it to continue. There isn't anything else that can be or needs to be done other than drive it at a steady highway speed. The time a regeneration takes depends on the amount of soot load. If you do alot of city driving then it's most likely going to take 30-60 minutes to fully regenerate if you get it on the highway once a week.