Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

New fuel pump, new fuel pump driver module, relays and fuses

Customer Question

New fuel pump, new fuel pump driver module, relays and fuses good, have power from the inertia switch, both leads from the module are hot and power to the pump. Pump will only run if I ground it to the chassis directly and not through the harness. I'm thinking ECU or PCM failure
JA: How many miles are on the car? Has the car been starting normally?
Customer: 160k and yes,starting fine, suddenly would not start
JA: What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: 2006 Crown Vic p71
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes,
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: New fuel pump, new fuel pump driver module, relays and fuses good, have power from the inertia switch, both leads from the module are hot and power to the pump. Pump will only run if I ground it to the chassis directly and not through the harness. I'm thinking ECU or PCM failure
Submitted: 27 days ago.
Category: Ford
Expert:  david craig replied 27 days ago.

Hi Im David, thanks for visiting the site. let me pull a print so we can figure this out.

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
I just purchased the car for short money non running, seller said it just wouldn't start one day and didn't want to deal with replacing the fuel pump
Customer: replied 27 days ago.
Not really, paid five for this and another 23 dollars just popped up on my card???
Customer: replied 27 days ago.
The pump will run with the key on when grounded directly to the chassis but will not prime and doesn't cycle off, will just keep running.

ok, give me a moment please. and i didnt offer the call. the site does that automatically. sorry.

dont worry about those charges, its not being charged unless you would have accepted the call.

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
No problem take your time

heres a print of the circuit. you need to check the ground for the driver module G401

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
That printout is blurry, can you send it in another format?

its perfectly fine on my end. maybe you need to open it up in a different fromat. besides, i dont know anything about computers. just vehicles.

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
anyway, I have power to and from the module, ground is good. Does the BCM or the ECM handle communication with the fuel module?

The PCM does. it supplies fuel pump control and fuel pump module control