Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

While driving my electrical system shut down after the check

Customer Question

while driving my electrical system shut down after the check charging system light came on then a Service RNC Now light came on then the electric went in the car I had no power in the car at all no speedometer no radio no window no wipers then the engine reeved and everything came back on
JA: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?
Customer: it's never happened before it started fine this morning then while driving all this happened
JA: What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: 2008 ford explorer
JA: Are you fixing your Explorer yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I've tried nothing yet I just got to work after this happened while driving to work
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 22 days ago.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron replied 22 days ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

Expert:  Ron replied 22 days ago.

The check charging system light comes on when the computer system sees a low voltage concern and usually due to a charging system problem. The first thing your going to need to do is to have the charging system checked to be sure the alternator is charging and the battery can hold a charge and load. The Normal charging rate on a properly working alternator should be right at 14 volts. Let get this done first and we can work from there.