Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician
20625509

On Monday last week, the battery was so low last week and it

Customer Question

On Monday last week, the battery was so low last week and it wouldn't take a jump. Charged the battery and the truck started fine for 2 days and then it happened again on Thursday. I also noticed that the dome lights and the dash lights flashed before I disconnected the battery and installed a different one to get a diagnostic on the old battery and the alternator. Alternator is charging and the battery was low, so I replaced it. On Tuesday, the radio turned off and on and I noticed the dome lights did as well. I pulled over and turned off the truck and it no problems until last night when the radio turned off/on again. After turning off the truck, the dome and dash lights turned on/off. I restarted the truck and it stopped. This morning I couldn't get the truck started, it has power but acted like it wasn't getting fuel. I disconnected the battery for a few minutes and she started fine. What do you think? Could the computer be bad?
JA: Have you checked the fuses? The dashboard bulbs?
Customer: The dash when dark a couple of weeks ago. Previously, it would go dark and then would work for some time and then repeat.
JA: What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: 2001 Explorer Sport Trac.
JA: Are you fixing your Explorer Sport yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Replaced the battery and check the alternator. I would like to fix her myself but I will go to a professional if needed.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I think that about covers it.
Submitted: 25 days ago.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Mike S. replied 25 days ago.

Hi, I am Mike, welcome. I'm reviewing your question.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 25 days ago.

I see the "park lamp" relay located in the battery junction block, left side of engine compartment and the "battery saver" relay located in the auxiliary relay box 2, under left side of dash both are tied into that dome light and instrument cluster lights, so without further testing, I would just try replacing both of those relays with new relays and see if the problem goes away, remains or returns.

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
I also noticed a couple of times since I replace battery last week, the cruise control didn't come on the first time t touched the button.
Customer: replied 25 days ago.
Do those two relays also control the radio? When all this occurs the radio goes dark/off and then come back up/on.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 25 days ago.

yes

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
I will try that. Thank you,
Expert:  Mike S. replied 25 days ago.

You are welcome. If that fixes it, don't forget to rate me well, so I get credit. If it don't fix it, just post back.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 25 days ago.

try the relays yet?

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
Not yet, but I will after work today.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 25 days ago.

ok

Expert:  Mike S. replied 22 days ago.

Did the problem go away when you replaced those relays?