Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

Have an 2004 Sport Trac with 4.0 and 85000 miles. Difficult

Customer Question

Have an 2004 Sport Trac with 4.0 and 85000 miles. Difficult to start after sitting for a few hours. No check engine lights on now but did throw misfire code. Trying to determine if pressure sensor or fuel pump?
JA: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?
Customer: Stayed on I reset the code and it did not come back on.
JA: What is the model of your '04 Ford?
Customer: Explorer Sport Trac
JA: Are you fixing your Explorer Sport yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Not tried anything yet.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: NO
Submitted: 26 days ago.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Jared D replied 26 days ago.

Does it seem like it cranks over at normal speed it just doesn't want to start or does it crank slowly?

Have you tried to prime the fuel pump? Try turning the key to the run position for 3 seconds and then off and then run for 3 seconds and then off and then start the engine. If it starts right up then the problem is most likely a failing fuel pump.

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
It cranks at normal speed. If I prime the fuel pump it will is still harder to start than it should. I don't prime it the way you stated I just turn the key on for several seconds before trying to start. It did seem to load up very rich and smoke once the other day after it would not start.
Expert:  Jared D replied 26 days ago.

The smoking sounds like maybe too much fuel is getting in somehow. Maybe a bad fuel pressure regulator or a leaky injector. You don't have any trouble codes stored?

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
None stored. It did that once. That's what got me think more than fuel pump. not sure about regulator or the pressure sensor (no code). Or a place to start. I can't see fuel pressure to see if it's loosing pressure and how fast it dropping.
Expert:  Jared D replied 26 days ago.

You might need to pick up a fuel pressure test kit and hook it up to see what kind of pressure you are getting out of the fuel pump.

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
I can't find a place to connect the pressure tester.
Expert:  Jared D replied 26 days ago.

The best place is at the fuel filter. They make a fuel pressure test kit with a long hose so you can run the gauge up to the driver window from the fuel filter and see what is reading while driving.