Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

I have a 2004 ford freestar that shifted just fine this

Customer Question

i have a 2004 ford freestar that shifted just fine this morning then all of a sudden It will not go into drive automatically. I can put it in reverse and it will go. I can put it in 1st gear manually and it will rev but eventually catch the gear then I can go into 3rd and drive manually the same way as with 1st. put it in the gear then it revs and eventually catches. it will not catch in either d or 3rd automatically at all
JA: OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box.
Customer: ok
JA: How old is the transmission? Have you noticed any leaking?
Customer: there is no leaking and I assume it is the original
JA: Are you fixing your Freestar yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes and nothing yet. I am looking for info. I think it is a transmission module or sensor
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: because once I can get it into gear it drives just fine. but I also now have a dash warning light that has come on
Submitted: 30 days ago.
Category: Ford
Expert:  david craig replied 30 days ago.

Hi Im David, thanks for visiting the site, the first thing that needs to be done is to drop the transmission pan and check for metal and debri at the bottom of the pan. that will tell me what the next step is going to be.

Customer: replied 30 days ago.
it was changed a couple months ago and nothing was wrong at that time
Customer: replied 30 days ago.
I have seen some one wrote that speed idle control sensor
Customer: replied 30 days ago.
or a power control module

no. not with the symptoms you are having. drop the pan again.

Customer: replied 30 days ago.
not at home how long I this app valid that I can write again?

as long as we need to

Customer: replied 30 days ago.
can you give me a guess if there is shavings in there or if there is not shavings?
what could the problem be if there is no shavings and what could the problem be if there is shavings in there

first off lets hope the fluid is still bright red. if there are mtela pieces then you have internal transmission damage and the transmission will nee to be replaced. if there are no metal pieces/shavings, then you need to have the transmission control module interrogeted for faults codes to see what component is failing,