Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

Have a 1978 Lincoln Continental with a 400, need to know if

Customer Question

Have a 1978 Lincoln Continental with a 400, need to know if you can adjust the intake and exhaust valves?
JA: How many miles are on the car? How has your mileage been lately?
Customer: engine was rebuild and a rv cam was put it ,mileage is terrible, if you are at a stop light and when you try to go the engine dies ,
JA: Are you fixing your Continental yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: someone else did the rebuild . and side that it dose not need the valve adjusted. I have not done anything to it yet,
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 29 days ago.
Category: Ford
Expert:  david craig replied 29 days ago.

Hi Im David, check this site out....https://www.carpartsdiscount.com/catalog/lincoln~continental~78.html?3594=2805

You can add valve adjustment shims of varying thicknesses under the bucket that sits on top of the valve stem; changing the valve lash slightly. In order to attain your expected power output, the appropriate Lincoln Continental valve adjustment shims will leave your valves open for longer durations than normal.

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
What is the correct way to ajust the valves,

there is no correct way to adjust the valves when a different cam was installed.

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
Need to talk to someone who can help me.
Customer: replied 29 days ago.
Need to get my money back.