Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

Problem started 4 days ago. 2014 Fusion 2.0 AWD. Sometimes

Customer Question

Problem started 4 days ago. 2014 Fusion 2.0 AWD. Sometimes on making a hard but not to limit left turn there is a loud bong ringing sound (like some type of spring that is bound and when it frees up it snaps back into position causing the bong ringing sound) coming from the left rear wheel area. The first time I thought I run over something but that was not the case. Sometimes the bong happens during the turn some times after going straight a short distance after the turn. Sometimes louder than others. I have not tried the same type turn to the right yet to see if this happens. I have to make this left turn to get up my driveway. Any ideas? Is this dangerous?
JA: Do you have power steering? Have you checked the power steering fluid?
Customer: It has PS and I have not checked the level but my last service a month ago the dealer said all fluids were OK.
JA: Are you fixing your Fusion yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No not fixing it my self I have not tried anything yet. Local dealer is 70 miles away.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 25 days ago.
Category: Ford
Customer: replied 25 days ago.
There are no fluid leaks under the car
Customer: replied 25 days ago.
Car has 41531 miles on odo
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 25 days ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose), my normal schedule online is around lunch and after dinner past midnight.

Is there a feeling that comes along with this sound you get?

Like a sudden bump which may be the steering stop causing this.

Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 20 days ago.

Hello again Chris here,

• Sorry you were not pleased with my help.
  • What would you like to do regarding your question now.
  • This post is coming up on the 7 day mark where it times out. When a post times out, that means it's no longer on my active list (you reply and I may never know it.)

Thanks Chris

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Answer from Chris: Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose), my normal schedule online is around lunch and after dinner past midnight.
None
As stated in my original post I am not going to the steering stop! There is a Ford TSB on the steering bolt failure but the noise is not from the steering gear assembly.
Question: Is there a limited slip clutch pack in the rear differential that may be hanging up? If I stop about 1/2 way through the turn and back straight back about 5 or 10 feet it seems to unload the differential and then when I finish the turn I do not get this sound?
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 19 days ago.

The rear axle in the Ford Fusion does not have limited slip.

My suggestions would be to get the vehicle on a rack to inspect the rear suspension to see if there are signs bolts have been moving and wearing into the chassis from not being torqued correct. Remove the rear driveshaft and retest to see if the noise still occurs.