Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician
20625509

I replaced the starter but I still have issues. It will

Customer Question

I replaced the starter but I still have issues. It will start and run if you let it run for 15+ min it will not restart. The next day I turned the key to try it kept slowly trying to turn over. I took the key out of the ignition and it still kept slowly turning over. the neg bat cable got real hot. This had happened before. The truck has a lot of heavy rust and is only used as a driveway plow truck. Any ideas?
JA: Is the car in "Park" or "Neutral?" Do you know if your car has a "wheel lock" feature?
Customer: It is a manual 5 speed in neutral. I think the lock feature is their
JA: What is the make/model/year of your car?
Customer: 1989 F-250 with a 460 FI manual 5 speed
JA: Are you fixing your F250 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I replaced the starter because it was hard to start when hot. Now I feel like after the truck starts it may keep feeding power to the starter killing the battery but I don't know
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: that should do it. What is the cost and how do you pay if there is a cost?
JA: You just pay a $5 deposit now and the rest only when you get a reply from the Ford mechanic. All of this is 100% satisfaction guaranteed, so you can get a refund if you're not happy for any reason.
Customer: and how do I pay? I do not like giving credit info out.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Peter Bagley replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer. I value your input to my questions so I may help you better. Can you do a simple voltage draw test? When you stated it seems like the starter stays on, can you hear it turning while the engine runs?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No It doesn't stay engaged. I say that only because I start with a full charge battery and in 15-20 min of run time it is out of juice. And when it is weak if you turn the key to try it I have had it slowly turn over then when I pull the key out it overrides the key. It still continues to slowly turn with out the key. At this point the ground cable on the battery starts to smoke. The truck is an around the yard work truck it is very rusty not street worthy. Could it be a rusted off ground strap?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Also When I started this conversation I asked about price. I was never told anything about monthly ongoing charges. I have one old truck and one issue. After this is resolved I do not need ongoing charges. Is it possible to do this one issue for the $28.00? If not I would like to cancel now. I was told 100% satisfaction or you money back. I would be happy for some help now and maybe in the future if needed but do not need ongoing services.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 month ago.

If the ground cable is smoking, chances are it's bad. It may be corroded on the inside. I would replace it first because it sounds as though the alternator isn't recharging the battery and without a good ground cable it won't, plus with a bad ground cable the starter will turn over slow also.

I have had one instance a long time ago of a starter that stayed engaged even after turning the key back to run or off, and what happened is the positive battery cable had melted to the frame and was shorting out on the frame. So, if it were me, I would replace both battery cables and go from there.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I will try replacing both cables. Will I be able to respond to this in a day or two? I work 12 hour days and it is hard to get much done after work.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 month ago.

yes

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
I replaced all positive and negative battery cables with 4 ga. wire along with all new ends to include the ones for the plow. I also replaced the starting solenoid. My cab lights come on bright but when I hit the key to try and start it there is just a light click near the battery area as far a I can tell.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 28 days ago.

4 gauge battery cables? That don't sound right. I thought battery cables where much thicker than that.

Anyhow, can you tell what is clicking? Can you have someone else turn the key while you listen and put your finger tips on it if it's a relay and tell me the location of it?

Also, hook a voltmeter up to the battery and tell me the voltage both with the key off and key on start.

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
I have 12.5V with the key off. I have 12.2 with the key turned to the start position. The click is coming from the solenoid I just replaced. I can actually feel it when I am touching it. Also the wire that goes to the S terminal has no power with the key in the start position.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 28 days ago.

The starter solenoid is clicking although it is not getting 12 volts to it with the key on start? That don't make sense.

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
that is what happens. it clicks at the solenoid but nothing happens at the starter.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 28 days ago.

Ok, I understand now, the starter relay not the solenoid although I know sometimes Ford calls them solenoids. If it is clicking that 1/2 of the solenoid/relay is working, so give me a second to get the wiring diagram so you can check that other 1/2.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 28 days ago.

That is a straight shot right from the battery positive post, so remove that starter relay and check the terminals in the empty socket for voltage. You should have 1 terminal that I hot with th key off. If not find the short/etc in that wire from the battery positive post to that relay/solenoid.

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
Sorry for my terminology even the books I am looking at will give the same piece two different names. I am working out side and it is getting harder to see things under the hood also I am starting to get cold after a long day of fun outside. I will put some more time into it but am going to head in soon. Thank you I will keep you posted.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 28 days ago.

Ok, make sure your starter drive gear isn't sticking to the teeth of the flywheel. If it is you will have to move the starter further away from the flywheel. Most of the times this can be accomplished with starter shims.

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
I only had a little time last night as it was almost dark after work. I loosened the starter and it moves freely. When i tried to turn it over nothing happened. Today after work I will take the old starter and lay it under the hood and wire it up to see if it works. I am not sure if it is even good but it will only take a few minutes to try.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 25 days ago.

remove that starter relay/solenoid and make sure with the key off, you have voltage to at least one terminal in that empty relay socket coming right from the battery positive post, if not find out why.

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
Will do. Also I keep getting reminders asking how you were to work with. We are not done yet so I have not answered yet. I I so far have like being able to work with you
Expert:  Mike S. replied 25 days ago.

ok