Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician
20625509

This morning I drove out of my driveway and the 2007 Ford

Customer Question

This morning I drove out of my driveway and the 2007 Ford Fusion with a 3.0L engine started to misfire and jump. I pulled over and shut it down and resrtarted and it was fine. After getting out of the store I started it up again and it was mis firing again. I was able to get it to operate OK after about 2000rpm but if I had to stop it hesitated to accelerate. I went to the local autozone and they read my OBD2 computer and came up with P0302 misfire #2, P0351 Ignition coil #1, P0354 Ignition coil #4 and P050B cold start ignition timing. Any ideas why? This is the first time this car has given me any problems. It normally runs awesome. It has 52,000 miles on it.
JA: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the fuel filters?
Customer: same trans has 52000 miles. I have not had it flushed however I'm not tying the trans to the misfire issue at all
JA: What is the make/model of your car?
Customer: 2007 Ford Fusion as I stated above
JA: Are you fixing your Fusion yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes and I had diagnostic codes read at autozone
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 25 days ago.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Mike S. replied 25 days ago.

Hi, I am Mike, welcome. I'm reviewing your question.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 25 days ago.

Do you know whether or not these codes are present now or were they from memory?

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
Hey Mike, I hope you can help
Expert:  Mike S. replied 25 days ago.

I am trying to. I find it odd you have codes for ignition coils 1 and 4, but the misfire is on 2, that is why I asked.

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
Very Odd. Thats what I thought also
Customer: replied 25 days ago.
It was bout 37 degrees this A.M. when the car acted up. I have never has a single problem like this with this car
Expert:  Mike S. replied 25 days ago.

To begin, follow this chart and report back to me what you find out. If you cannot perform any of the tests, you may just have to take it into the shop.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 25 days ago.

If not, you can at least do this, plus if you just recently power washed the engine, this may have caused this.

Visually inspect the coil pack harness for damage, exposed wiring, water contamination, corrosion, and correct assembly. REPAIR as necessary.

• Disconnect all the PCM connectors.
  • Visually inspect for:
    • pushed out pins
    • corrosion
  • Connect all the PCM connectors and make sure they seat correctly.
Customer: replied 25 days ago.
OK I will have to remove the upper intake and inspect #2 coil and plug. I haven't recently power washed the engine but I did recently change the oil and I spilled some oil back there but it would have been closer to #1 not #2. I will follow the the fault isolation as best I can
Expert:  Mike S. replied 25 days ago.

Ok, do the best you can.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 23 days ago.

JustAnswer® is not a free service. I work hard to make sure you're satisfied with my service and I only get credit for my answers based on your rating.
Once you're satisfied, please leave a positive rating.