Matt, Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have a 1995 Ford F700 that while driving it had a rattle

Customer Question

I have a 1995 Ford F700 that while driving it had a rattle in the front driver side tire. After lifting the hood I noticed that the brake caliper is making the rattle. It works fine and brakes good but when releasing the peddle it has play
JA: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?
Customer: After lifting the hood I noticed that the brake caliper is making the rattle. It works fine and brakes good but when releasing the peddle it has play
JA: What is the make/model of your car?
Customer: I have a 1995 Ford F700
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: nothing is there supposed to be play in the caliper
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: nope
Category: Ford
Expert:  Matt replied 6 months ago.

Hello

this sounds like the sliding part of the caliper may be moving aorund on its pins which isn't right

I've attached a 3d image of a typical brake caliper which follows the same design as yours

If you look at the 'guide pin' part you'll see that the main caliper with the pistons in it is meant to 'float' on these pins and is dragged onto the disc rotor by brake pressure

the spring in the caliper seals then pushes the pads off just enough to clear so they don't drag on the disc

from your description I suspect that 1 of the pins may be loose or is broken so I'd remove the wheel on that side and carefully dismantle the caliper from the hub , checking for damage and loose bolts as you go

Expert:  Matt replied 6 months ago.

Hi

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you