James, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master Tech, Ford gas and diesel expert, ASE Certified
74859263

97 Expedition 5.4 4WD mileage 190K, my expedition has an

Customer Question

97 Expedition 5.4 4WD mileage 190K, my expedition has an ongoing problem with a clacking noise in the front drive shaft/front axle area. We pulled the front drive shaft and replaced both u joints, this solved the problem for a few hundred miles but the noise retuned. The noise increases when the speed increases, its coming from directly under the drivers seat area. We pulled the front drive shaft again and the noise stopped, seems to be something in the front differencial. With the drive shaft removed there is some play in the front differencial U joint but nothing unusual.
Any ideas?
Thanks,
Clark
Submitted: 27 days ago.
Category: Ford
Expert:  James replied 27 days ago.

Hello, if you drive the vehicle in four wheel drive does it get better or worse?

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
The noise does not change when in 4WD
Expert:  James replied 27 days ago.

If you take the front driveshaft out and drive the vehicle does the noise go away?

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
the noise goes away with drive shaft removedYes with the
Customer: replied 27 days ago.
the noise goes away with drive shaft removed
Customer: replied 27 days ago.
Also the 4WD drives seems to work okay with the drive shaft installed, but noise is still there no matter what 4WD drive range your in.
Expert:  James replied 27 days ago.

If the driveshaft being removed eliminates the issue I think your concern is in your transfer case. If the driveshaft has one u joint in front and a rubber boot with the joint in the rear then I would suspect the driveshaft is faulty. Do you have a photo of the driveshaft?

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
James, sorry for the delay. Attached are two photos of the front drive shaft.Thanks,Clark
Customer: replied 25 days ago.
Photos, I think they are now attached.
Expert:  James replied 25 days ago.

So it is a normal driveshaft. If you turn the front differential by hand does it sound different at all?

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
Turning the front differential by hand, there is a slight bit of play when turning it back and forth. There is no play in the shaft moving it up and down or side to side, there is no noise while turning it by hand
Expert:  James replied 25 days ago.

If you have the vehicle in neutral and turn the transfer case do you hear abnormal noise?

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
The transfer case turns freely and does not have any unusual noise
Expert:  James replied 24 days ago.

unless a new u joint is sticking which can happen. Do the u joints turn freely in all directions when moving by hand