Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

Sometimes have to put in park hard to get it to start. and

Customer Question

sometimes have to put in park hard to get it to start. and moving the shifter was a little tight. today coming down a steep grade pushed o/d off to hold speed down. Trans totally quite pulling in any gear. put it in and out of park several times and went into gear but only drove a few hundred yards. had it towed home just started it and put into r and drive ok. but still hard to start and gearshifter is a lot looser than it was
JA: Does the vehicle have a fuse that enables or disables the shifter?
Customer: not sure it is new to me.
JA: What is the make/model/year of your car?
Customer: 98 ford expedition 4x4 5.4 eng
JA: Are you fixing your Expedition yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: no just got it home trying to figure out the problem
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: not that I can think of
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Cary York replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I’m Cary and I’ll be helping you today.
Please understand that I can't smell, hear, or touch the vehicle, so patience is appreciated. Before leaving the site make sure and leave me a rating. You can still reply to me as many times as needed, even after the rating..

You may have 2 different problems here. What does the trans fluid color look like?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
red very clean. person I bought it from had changed it recently has 138k miles on it. level is good and color is good. gear shifter doesn't feel normal and hard to get it to realize it is park.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have put about 2k miles on it only had to push hard into park a couple of times until today. shifter was tighter to shift now it is looser.
Expert:  Cary York replied 1 month ago.

Sorry I have to go. I will opt out so another expert can help.