Matt, Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

Vibration at different speeds worse between 60 and 80 mph.

Customer Question

vibration at different speeds worse between 60 and 80 mph. have changed a lot of parts to no avail
JA: Are you fixing your 80 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: drive shaft balanced, bushing in transmission tailshaft, new axles and axle bearings , traction bars added, different tires and wheels balanced 3 times on different machines, set pinion angle at different angles, end of ideas
JA: How old are the tires? And have they been a problem in the past?
Customer: don't know how old but have tried different tires and wheels , same vibration. viberation also when coasting down from highway speeds
JA: What is the make/model of your car?
Customer: 53 Studebaker with chevy running gear, 8 inch ford rear axle leaf springs on rear
JA: What year is your '80 Leaf?
Customer: 80 leaf , whats that
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Ford
Expert:  Matt replied 7 months ago.

Hello

There's a few things to check

Tyre defect - any cracks or bulges on the side-wall of the tyre (inside and outside) these will throw the tyre out of shape and produce vibration - take a good look over the tyre sidewalls and bear in mind that anything that looks suspect when static will probably be ballooning out and far worse at speed so if any doubt then replace the tyre. Also check if the tyres have been fitted the right way round as some types are directional

One other thing to check for which isn't covered by a balance check is out of round or bent wheels, if you use a dial gauge on the axle to measure the run out on the wheel rim this will ensure that the wheels are round and true

also check for

Worn mountings - check the tightness of the engine and gearbox mounts and their condition - this is best done by using a jack to take the weight of the engine off the mounts and seeing if any cracks or splits open up in the rubber.Also check the tightness of the mounts bolts

Expert:  Matt replied 7 months ago.

Hi

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you