Ray M.
Ray M., Ford Master Tech
Experience:  30+ years in trade, Ford Master Tech, Journeyman Automotive Tech
11409661

03' ford 6.0L diesel weird noise coming from air box on

Customer Question

03' ford 6.0L diesel weird noise coming from air box on acceleration and deceleration and power surging when noise happens?
JA: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the fuel filters?
Customer: trans has 152000 miles on it, and fule filter is good.
JA: What is the make/model of your car?
Customer: 2003 ford f350 4x4 diesel
JA: Are you fixing your F350 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I changed the EGR valve.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: It also makes that noise when I turn ignition on and the fule system is primed right when it is done priming, like a decompression or blow off?
Category: Ford
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 3 months ago.

Hi. That noise is usually when the unison ring in the turbo is sticking.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
it will make that noise when it is not running? Because it does it at the end of the system priming right before starting?

No. A stuck turbo ring causes the noise through the intake when accelerating or decelerating.

Is there a fuel system noise or an air intake noise?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I'm also getting code P132B but I went through the process of re setting the turbo and engine light went off, this also started when the batteries got changed?

Is the truck tuned?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No, truck is stock. The noise is coming from the air box and sounds like a fast rubbing like the tire is rubbing plastic but thats not what is happening and the power surges or cutting out not trying to dye keeps running but like you don't want to push the gas pedal any harder ? It is on up hills when it happens?

When there is a turbo concern or exhaust back pressure concern you will hear the noise through the airbox. When driving, and there is no power and the power seems like the turbo is just cutting off, then coming back on, then you should try swapping the VGT soleniod with a known good one, or replacing it. If on decel, you take your foot off the throttle and you hear a pop, pop, pop through the intake, it intakes the unison ring in the turbo is sticking. The VGT solenoid could cause both those problems. But a sticking unison ring will not cause those problems.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have a innova 3160 scanner it has the EGR and CCM red circles flashing in the I/M monitor status ?

I am not familiar with that scan tool. I am going to opt-out and perhaps an expert knows that tool better. Thanks.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
thanks for your help, and I'm going to try the VGT solenoid.
Expert:  Ray M. replied 3 months ago.

Hi

The problem you are seeing is caused by the unison ring inside the turbo sticking, to repair you need to take the turbo off and apart, if it isn't pitted and rusted to bad then you can clean it up, but from my experience it is best to just install a rebuilt turbo.