Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

It is a 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis. It has just started

Customer Question

It is a 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis. It has just started making (intermittently) a loud clicking noise from somewhere inside the dash. Sounds as if it is behind the radio. From what I have read so far it may be the blend door actuator. Do you concur? Thanks - Denis.
JA: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?
Customer: Since last week. Like I said it sounds as if it is coming from behind the radio. I thought it might be coming from the CD player but I am reading (on the internet) that it might be the blend door actuator.
JA: What is the make/model of your car?
Customer: It is a 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis LS.
JA: Are you fixing your Grand Marquis yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: If it is not too difficult I will do it myself. I really am not into pulling out the entire dashboard. On the other hand I really don't want to spend hundreds of dollars on it. My first step is to try and find out what is likely causing the clicking noise (It is quite loud). I feel that others have most probably encountered this before. Then I will look into options for fixing it.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I think I have described the problem and identified the make and model. I am hoping that he can diagnose it based on what I have written.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 3 months ago.

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

Hey Dennis

If at any point during our conversation you like to speak to me on the phone ,feel free to ask me or you can request it on the screen at your convenience and I will call you right away.

1-yes i concur on the noise being the blend door motor actuator most likely,

2-you will have to psychically get to it to confirm the failure and it depends on which one went bad , one is the reticulation labor is like 0.4 hours, easy to do the temp and floor and blend is 4 to 5 hour job and will require a lot of dashboard disassembly

I sent you the labor times for them and pictures of the one behind the glove box as example of one location

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/C ELECTRONIC BLEND DOOR ACTUATOR The A/C electronic blend door actuator is located on the top of the plenum housing. - Its function is to move the air temperature blend door on command from the control assembly. - The A/C electronic blend door actuator contains a reversible electric motor and a potentiometer. The potentiometer wiper is connected to the actuator output shaft and moves with the output shaft to indicate the position of the air temperature blend door. - A 5 volt signal is applied to the ends of the potentiometer. The voltage available at the wiper indicates the position of the potentiometer. The expressed value of the actuator wiper voltage is sent to the electronic automatic temperature control module and is matched with the wiper voltage of the module potentiometer. The control module then drives the actuator motor in the direction necessary to make the actuator wiper voltage agree with the control module wiper voltage. VACUUM CONTROL MOTORS Vacuum control motors are used to move the floor/panel and panel/defrost doors.

Parts InformationOEM Part #Price

Air Door Actuator / Motor

Door Actuator

Temperature Blend

Without ATC

1W7Z19E616AA$72.62

With ATC

XW7Z19E616BA$88.74

Labor InformationSkill LevelMfg. WarrantyStandard

Replace Door Actuator

Floor Panel Door

B 4.0 l labor hour

Defrost Door

B 0.7 labor hour

Outside/Recirculation Door

B 0.4 labor hour

Temperature Blend Door

Without ATC

B 4.0 labor hour

With ATC

B 5.2 labor hour

1. Remove the pin-type retainers and the instrument panel lower insulator.

2. Disconnect the vacuum connector.

3. Remove the control arm clip and the spring.

4. Remove the nuts and the air inlet door vacuum control motor. INSTALLATION 1. To install, reverse the removal procedure.

Please let me know if you need anything else on it, just reply back and we will continue

If you are good, Please Kindly Rate Me.

A 5 Star Rating is much Appreciated

Please keep in mind that when you rate me , it does not end our conversation.

you can always come back to this conversation and ask me any follow up question you may have on this issue

(you can copy this link page & paste it in your browser when ready and it will open up our conversation again)

Thank You
Chad Farhat