Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

2004 Ford F350 6.0l - acting like it is fuel starved.....

Customer Question

2004 Ford F350 6.0l - acting like it is fuel starved..... shifting very strangely...... if I shift to park, engine seems fine and spools up no issue.... put it into drive and it shakes and acts like it wants to stall.......... very, very slow to get moving
JA: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?
Customer: same as usual
JA: What is the make/model of your car?
Customer: 2004 F350 6.0l Lariat
JA: Are you fixing your F350 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: this just happened...... truck ran great yesterday
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Have fuel filters at home.... plan to change tonight
Category: Ford
Expert:  Pete replied 6 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Usually if the engine is running and revving up good and strong in park or neutral but bogs down and shifting issues in some cases when in drive or reverse this can indicate a transmission component at fault.One of the most common causes I have seen several times before needing replaced is the transmission torque converter itself.It can stay partially locked in place and cause this exact fault here.

If you have not had the fault codes checked to see what codes are set this needs done.If any are set the codes will need diagnosed to locate and correct this issue here.If no codes are set the transmission components mainly the torque converter will need tested to see if it needs replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you Pete......... will read the codes when I get home tonight, check trans fluid levels too, and already have purchased fuel filters, so I will be doing that job tonight. If I am stumped..... I will check back. If not, I will certainly complete the ratings with maximum stars. Hang in there, and thank you so far. - PH
Expert:  Pete replied 6 months ago.

Your welcome.Let me know how this turns out when your ready.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here as this is how I receive credit for my time.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete