Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

My 2001 Ford van E250 v/8 automatic gas engine start up and

Customer Question

my 2001 Ford van E250 v/8 automatic gas engine start up and ran perfectly for 3 to four minutes then we shut it off for a minute to use the key to unlock back door got back in and tried to start it only to have it give a 1/2 second grunt then nothing. I tried several times thinking it might have been stuck and would free itself but no luck just a 1/2 second grunt each time i turned the key. I then smelled a burnt plastic wire coating smell. The van has a very good almost new battery (2 weeks old) and heavy duty. I jumped it any way and still nothing, The battery had plenty of juice with out jumping it. Lights worked great, horn radio wipers , everything. So I replaced the starter, nothing but same grunt. I replace the wall mounted silinoid, same grunt . I replace the ground wire from battery to starter with a small wire going off the the siinoid. Same half second grunt. Thinking of throwing a wrench thru windshield to see if that might help. Van has 109,000 miles on it. Guy a parts store ask me if started had 'wedges' in or on it and it did not.. He seemed to indicate that it touching fly wheel. I apprecieat his thoughts but I dont think he is right. Unless the starter locks up because the fly wheel wont turn? Can you help please?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 1 month ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose), my normal schedule online is around lunch and after dinner past midnight.

This grunt noise, is it coming from the starter motor?

Do you have a volt meter?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
i am confused, I want to talk to one person and it looks like I am talking to more than one? Each person is asking me different questions?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
why cant this communication process be simpler?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
are there any humans involved here other than my self?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
will I be waiting a long time for a reply?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.

Sorry you did not notice the times I mentioned that I work on here.

Are you able to respond to the 2 questions I asked?