Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

On a 2000 ford f450 with a 7.3 diesel it has a code P0603 an

Customer Question

On a 2000 ford f450 with a 7.3 diesel it has a code P0603 an internal control module KAM error
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron replied 4 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

Expert:  Ron replied 4 months ago.

Joshua,

Are you running a performance chip?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It misses and cuts out real bad
Expert:  Ron replied 4 months ago.

Code P0603 will only be set under a couple of conditions, 1) dead or disconnected battery(s) or 2) the installation of a performance enhancing program or 'chip'. Is this the only code your getting .

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Getting some intake heater and glow plug codes
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have heard of the chips being behind the computer but there isn't one on this truck could it be a bad computer
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It's hard to start as well cranks for awhile
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It I did have the batteries in hooked
Expert:  Ron replied 4 months ago.

If you sure there is no chip and the batteries are in good shape and have not lost the connection then yes its very likely the problem is internal to the PCM. If you had the batteries unhooked then this code can set. What are the glow plug codes your getting?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Glow plug circuit fault P0308
Expert:  Ron replied 4 months ago.

The common cause for the code P0308 to set is not usually a glow plug issue but instead a failing injector on #8 cylinder or you have melted valve cover gasket where the wiring come through and that can cause a hard start as well as a rough idle.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
it needs a # 8 injector cause the wiring is good
Expert:  Ron replied 4 months ago.

Yes that is likely, I would start first with making sure you have good compression on #8 and if so then its likely a failing injector. See the steps in the link below to check this.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/P0308%20Nov%202.pdf