Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

Ford f550,2001 Triton V10 with no spark and no fuel

Customer Question

Ford f550,2001 Triton V10 with no spark and no fuel pressure. At one point it wasnt starting at all, then two days later it started and died after idling for maybe 10 mins and would not start again. Cranks strong, all fuses are checked to be good.Harnesses have been checked too. We replaced the ignition crank box and tried to use a different functioning pcm.
What could the problem be? I'm thinking it is a loose wire somewhere that would make it to not have spark and no fuel pressure. If there is a diagram to follow which cable please let me know clearly.
Category: Ford
Expert:  david craig replied 6 months ago.

Hi Im David. are you getting a check engine light? i will pull a wiring print for you to set you on the right track

heres a diagram for the ignition system to give you a general idea of the theory. ill be looking for the diagram of the fuel injection system for you also

try the fule pump shutoff switch reset.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.

no check engine light, i will try to follow the diagrams and will ask if i am confused

did you try to reset the inertia switch?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.

The button is down, tried it did not go down.

ok

Customer: replied 6 months ago.

I'm getting error on my scanner ,looks like not communicating ??

ok, we will test the DLC connector in 20 minutes i havent forgot about you. had to go to a funeral and now gotta take the pooch for a walk

at the dlc check for 12vdc at pin 16. check for grounds at 4 and 5 and check for voltage a 7.

hello?????????

Customer: replied 6 months ago.

I will check today and let you know.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.

pin #16 12 volts

pin 4&5 has ground

pin#7 around 6 volts

ok, thats good

fuel pump running with key in on position?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.

No; the fuel pump is not running at all also no spark

I tried start spray nothing .No spark.

ok, lets jumper the fuel pump relay and see if the pump comes on

Customer: replied 6 months ago.

How to do that?

give me a sec. thanks

double check fuse 19 in the engine compartment its a 20 amp fuel pump relay maxi fuse

here the cutoff relay and the bi fuel relay. it say its in the battery junction panel

Customer: replied 6 months ago.

The fuel port shredder valve was blocked,I replaced it I have fuel pressure and cleaned up all ground and connections My scanner communicate with DLC and still no spark **Reading RPM zero,Got a new crankshaft sensor install it NO spark.Check the connector to the crankshaft sensor Have voltage.No spark

ok good..at least we have fuel pressure now. cool. now let find out why we have no spark....

need to check continuity from S130 to the central junction box fuse.

heres the fuse

Customer: replied 6 months ago.

How can I check the crankshaft sensor trigger timing gear? The tooth can be damage ?Can I see movement of the gear from hole where the Crankshaft Sensor is? how to check the gear movement and the teeth.

Reading RPM (0) when I crank the engine.

you cant see the reluctor wheel nless you access the sensor, remove it and slowly rotate by hand and watch the wheel contact blades

Customer: replied 6 months ago.

Do the wheel contact blades goes bad or damage?

not normally, not unless its removed for a timing job. let me pull up a print of the crank sensor. lets see what we can check

heres 1 print of it. ill find more

Customer: replied 6 months ago.

Can we look at parts schematic ?how the Crankshaft sensor Ring look like?

let me get a pic

heres a description of how it works, im looking for the actual ring pic.....

The Crankshaft Position (CKP) sensor is a magnetic transducer mounted on the engine block adjacent to a pulse wheel located on the crankshaft. By
monitoring the crankshaft mounted pulse wheel, the CKP is the primary sensor for ignition information to the Powertrain Control Module (PCM). The
trigger wheel has a total of 35 teeth spaced 10 degrees apart with one empty space for a missing tooth. The 6.8L ten cylinder pulse wheel has 39 teeth
spaced 9 degrees apart and one 9 degree empty space for a missing tooth. By monitoring the trigger wheel, the CKP indicates crankshaft position and
speed information to the PCM. By monitoring the missing tooth, the CKP is also able to identify piston travel in order to synchronize the ignition
system and provide a way of tracking the angular position of the crankshaft relative to fixed reference.

i think this is it fir the truck

Customer: replied 6 months ago.

Thanks

I will check through the sensor hole to see if something is going on and will let you know.

ok

any luck?

just checking in to see how its going