James, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master Tech, Ford gas and diesel expert, ASE Certified
74859263

I have a 2007 Expedition el. Out doing errands the car would

Customer Question

I have a 2007 Expedition el. Out doing errands the car would not start when I tried to leave. Everything had power but when trying to start the power was drained. Had battery checked AutoZone, they said it was fine. Car wont start from a different battery or a jump.
JA: Does the battery look like it's leaking? And does it have a strong smell -- like sulfur?
Customer: Not that I could recall. It has been sitting for a week now.
JA: Are you fixing your Expedition EL yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I had someone else looking at it. Thought maybe it was the starter, alternator, or ignition switch. The guy looked at the starter, took it off and took to have tested, it tested fine.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Ford
Expert:  James replied 4 months ago.

Hello, It sounds like your starter has failed. If you have a test light I can help you test the starter itself? If you have battery power but no noise upon trying to start there is an issue with the starter.

Expert:  James replied 4 months ago.

If you have further questions please let me know. Also remember a rating it required to my answer so I receive credit for assisting you.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
They tested the starter at auto zone removed from the vehicle and it started fine. In the vehicle it does nothing.
Expert:  James replied 4 months ago.

I'm sorry but that isn't an accurate test. When testing the starter out of the vehicle there is no load on the starter. So they will always test good. What happens is the starter doesn't actually have the power to turn the engine over when they wear out. They need to test the starter on the vehicle for the test to be accurate. If the small wire has 12v at the starter when trying to start then the starter is bad. This tests the starter as well as the entire starter circuit for you. That is how you want to test the starter because it may just be weak over the years which is what happens.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Great. I will try it that way and reply back to let you know how it goes. Maybe just replace it as well.
Expert:  James replied 4 months ago.

Sounds good. Please remember I only get paide if I receive a positive rating. Rating me doesn't mean we stop chatting. We can continue to go back and forth until your vehicle is repaired if you need too.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Okay, thanks.
Expert:  James replied 4 months ago.

If you reply throughout the day Iwill get back to you as soon as I can