Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

My 1987 Ford Bronco II runs good when cold, but after about

Customer Question

My 1987 Ford Bronco II runs good when cold, but after about 10 minutes or so drivilng it starts cutting out... I have changed the fuel filter, new fuel pump, plugs, wires and will put on a new dist cap and the thing that is in back of the dist cap this week. I also replace the idle thing that plugs in.... I am not a mechanic, so I don't know anything else to do. I purchased this car new and have had very few problems over the years.... Please responsed...
JA: Is the fuel filter an external one, or is it inside the tank?
Customer: I changed the one on the left side of the car on the frame. I did not change the one in the fuel tank.
JA: Are you fixing your Bronco II yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes, I just said that I have changed the fuel filter, fuel pump, plugs, wires and I purchased a new dist cap and rotator thing. Plus, I purchased the thing that fits on the back side of the dist. plus I replaced the idle regulator (on top beside the top of the engine..... Nolthing has worked so far. What about the EGR value... I looked that up...
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Well, I have checked on the computer and this is a common problem with the 1987 Ford Bronco II -- that has this 2.9 engine.......
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Ford
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 1 month ago.

Hello, is the check engine light coming on?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No, the check engine light has not come on. I have talked to several people, and they seem to think that is a on-going problem with the 1987 Ford Bronco II and similar years that has the 2.9 motor. I really don't know anything else to replace. I have read on the computer that a lot of people have had this same problem. They spend a lot of money and still did not get the results.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
call me tomorrow after 8;00 AM and I will be available to talk to you. Since I am not knowledgeable about this problem it would probably be better to just tell me what I need to purchase and replace, etc. Again, I have already replaced the plugs, wiring, and will replace the dist cap and rotor thing, plus the thing that fits behind the dist..... I have not got them put on yet. I have replaced the fuel filter and a new electric fuel pump (on the side of the frame). I also replace the idling component that also plugs in... this is on top of the motor --- supposely regulates the fuel or idling flow..... etc. So, just e-mail be back and let me know what I need to do or try..... You don't have to call me, I am very very hard of hearing and have a cochlear implant to deal with.... So, just do the best you can with the info that I have given you and I will be ok with your response.....
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Mr. Wiggins,You can send me all the info tomorrow... thanks, ***** *****
Expert:  david craig replied 1 month ago.

Hi Im David. throwing parts at your vehicle is not the way to fix it, If you want to find out why something isnt working, you troubleshhoot it by taking voltage readings, testing fuel pressure, checking spark, checking continuity of the wiring. checking for fault codes etc.... if you want that kind of help i would be happy to assist but I wont suggest replacing a part unless i know its bad.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
This has been a waste of time and money. This is an on-going problem with this vehicle and I have read enough of the computer for someone to have a general idea about this problem. It is OK, I will just move on and do something different. I have already stated what I have done and nobody seems to really know the answer. So, I will not contact you again. Jack Spears

good luck to you sir. but proper troubleshooting habits go a very long way in repairing a vehicles problems. have a nice day.