Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

Im having high RPMs in between shifts. its on a 08 Ford

Customer Question

Hi. Im having high RPMs in between shifts.
JA: How old is the transmission? Have you noticed any leaking?
Customer: its on a 08 Ford Escape. no leaks I just recently cleaned the TB due to the gas pedal sticking bad.
JA: Are you fixing your Escape yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have cleared the ECU and gone through the proper steps to reset the RPM values. I have cleaned the TB, IAC and checked for any leaks
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: and I cleaned the MAF
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 1 month ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose), my normal schedule online is around lunch and after dinner past midnight.

Is this occurring between all shifts?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Its a 2008 Ford Escape 2.3L (non hybrid) 2wd 5 speed manual.

So when you accelerate and its time to shift. You press the clutch and the engine just revs high during the gear change?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Correct. It does it with every shift, regardless of the gear. As I'm shifting or coasting in neutral to a stop light, it stays in the 2k-2.5k rpm range until the car comes to a complete stop. Only then will it return to 800-900 rpm.After cleaning the throttle body I had the issue, did some research and a lot of the recommendations stated that the ECU should be cleared and then properly reset. Place the key in the on position for 10-15 seconds, then start the vehicle and let it idle for 10 minutes with no throttle manipulation. After that it was good to go. Those were the steps that I did.

Are there any warning lights on?

Are there ever any concerns with high or low idle when stopped?

Is the concern only when coasting or when coming to a stop, not when gaining speed and shifting?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No CEL.The idle drops to 800-900 rpms when the vehicle is stopped, which has always been the normal RPM when stopped.Yes the concern is only when coasting or coming to a stop.

Thanks,

My suggestions are to:

1. Disconnect the battery cables
  2. Hold the cable together for one minute
  3. Replace the idle air control valve
  4. Clean the throttle body one again
  5. Clean the MAF sensor
  6. Reconnect the battery cables.
  7. Start the vehicle let it idle for 2 minutes.
  8. Rev it once to 2000 rpms
  9. Let it idle for 2 minutes
  10. Test drive
  11. If the concern continues then have the dealer reprogram the PCM.

.

Prior to completing the mandatory rating at the top of your screen. Let me know if I have not yet provided you with ~5 STAR EXCELLENT~service. Reply and let me know in more detail what you need to be pleased with my help.

Thanks Chris

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Just took the vehicle out for a test drive and kept the clutch depressed hoping the rpm would drop to 800 to "program" that as normal rpm and it didn't drop below 2500 rpm.

Thanks for the update. Let me know the results once all the steps I outlined have been completed.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I replaced the IACV, no success. everything has been cleaned once again. cleared PMC again. went through the relearning procedures and the car still idles @ 2k-3k between shifts or in a coasting neutral position.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I took the new IACV off and put the old one back on after i soaked it again in cleaner. I accidentally forgot to connect the sensor when i reinstalled it, there a code p0511, but the idle was perfect. After reconnecting the IACV the high rpm between shifts returned. I then reinstalled the new IACV leaving the sensor disconnected. Perfect idle. Connected the sensor and the high rpm came back.

The IAC controls the idle speed from a command by the PCM. You are not getting high idle with it unplugged because there is no command to it. That leaves the last step number 11 I mentioned needing to be done.

Hello again Chris here,

• Sorry you were not pleased with my help.
  • What would you like to do regarding your question now.
  • This post is coming up on the 7 day mark where it times out. When a post times out, that means it's no longer on my active list (you reply and I may never know it.)

Thanks Chris