Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

Took truck to smog center got it back not easy to start, and

Customer Question

took truck to smog center got it back not easy to start, and it missing every once in a sec. or two.
JA: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?
Customer: took them off and wire brushed them, I wonder if the MSD module is going bad.
JA: What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: 1985 F-250 FE.460 4x4
JA: Are you fixing your F250 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I bought it from this estate sale, they took it to a smog center, came back timing distributor was loose, I manually move it back to were it sounded better, need to put a timing light on it now.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: do I time it on 0 on balancer
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron replied 1 month ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

Expert:  Ron replied 1 month ago.

If your distributor was loose then that is where you need to start. if the timing is off it can affect the engine idle. Start first with hooking up your timing light and checking the base timing. Remove the vacuum line from the advance unit and set the base timing at 10 degrees Before top dead center. Let me know the results when you get this done and we can work from there.