roy
roy, import/domestic specialest
Experience:  ASE master tech for 40 years
3506196

I have a 1994 F150. It has a hydraulic clutch that I had the

Customer Question

I have a 1994 F150. It has a hydraulic clutch that I had the repair shop bleed about a year ago. The same thing is happening again.
JA: Has the clutch been slipping? Are you having any trouble shifting?
Customer: the clutch has no play in it and, today, it is almost impossible to shift. I had to stop and shut the engine off to shift so I could get it home.Any advice on the best way to bleed this and if
JA: Are you fixing your F150 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I was going to try to do it myself this time. I have never bled a hydroulic clutch but I am at least somewhat mechanically inclined if I have a plan of action.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I am concerned that having to bleed it again may indicate a more significant problem.
Category: Ford
Expert:  roy replied 3 months ago.

hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be glad to assist you. please allow me a couple of minutes to gather some basic info.

Roy

Expert:  roy replied 3 months ago.

ok, I have printed the procedure below.

I am concerned as you should never have to bleed this system unless there is an air leak. it sounds like you are going to need to replace the master and the slave.

Roy

1. Using coupling disconnect tool No. T88T-70522-A or equivalent, disconnect hydraulic coupling at transmission by sliding white plastic sleeve toward clutch slave cylinder while tugging on tube.
  2. Clean area around clutch master cylinder reservoir cap, then remove cap and fill to step with suitable DOT 3 brake fluid.
  3. Using screwdriver or equivalent tool, depress internal mechanism of male coupling to open valve. Then, while holding valve open, depress clutch pedal fully and hold.
  4. Remove screwdriver from coupling to close valve, then release clutch pedal. Clutch master cylinder must be kept full at all times to prevent air from entering system.
  5. Refill reservoir to step, then operate valve and clutch pedal as described above. Reservoir may again need to be filled.
  6. Close reservoir, then reconnect coupling to clutch slave cylinder. When coupling is secured, cycle clutch pedal as quickly as possible through 5 to 10 strokes.
  7. Wait 1 to 3 minutes, then repeat clutch pedal cycling 3 more times with 1 to 3 minutes between each set of 5 to 10 strokes.
  8. Loosen clutch slave cylinder bleed screw, then depress and hold clutch pedal while torquing bleed screw to 2.2-3.7 ft lbs .
  9. Refill reservoir to step, then check clutch operation. If clutch does not release fully, indicating air has remained in system, repeat procedure.

© 2016 ALLDATA LLC. All rights reserved. Terms and Conditions