Ivan Alvarez
Ivan Alvarez,
Experience:  lead technician at Performance Tire and Automotive
96641215

2006 Ford Escape 3.0..trying to get a straight answer about

Customer Question

2006 Ford Escape 3.0..trying to get a straight answer about which keyway slot to use on crank trigger wheel. Some manuals say 30RFF, some say the other one
JA: Is the key stripped or worn?
Customer: Negative
JA: Are you fixing your Escape yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Replaced both timing chains, did not see which way the wheel came off
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ivan Alvarez replied 1 month ago.

Usually the pulse wheel has a mark that says front on it. If not the gap in the teeth on the wheel should be close to 180 deg. in relation to crank shaft keyway.

​This figure isn't the clearest but hope it helps.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I know which side is the front, however apparently this ring is used for multiple vehicles, so there are 2 keyway slots. One is marked 30RFF, the other is marked 20-25-30M (or something very close to that). The chilton manual says to use 30RFF. There is a ford bulletin that says use the 20-25-30M. I used the 20-25-30M and now get no spark and engine just cranks. I read that if the keyway is at 9 o'clock position, the gap on the ring should face the crank sensor, but is not the case if I use fords information.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Picture of ring included

I read through the procedure and it does say to use the 20-25-30M​ mark. With the key way at the crankshaft at 3 o-clock the gap on the wheel should be 180 from the key way. It does look like you would end up with the gap at 180 if you use the 25-34y-30m mark. Did you by any chance check powers and grounds to crank sensor when you had the no spark issue? The wire are known for braking a couple inches down from connector.

Any news on your issue?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I got it fixed. I'm not sure how to continue with this process. I understand you do this on the side for extra money, but the information you gave me was completely wrong. I removed the timing cover again, and the exciter ring was approx. 180 degrees from the keyway. This definitely caused a no-start, no-spark issue. I moved the keyway to the 9' oclock postion and the exciter ring to the 9 oclock position, which is approx. 0 degrees, put it all back together and it runs like a dream. The information you gave about the keyway being 180 degrees from the gap was incorrect. If I knew nothing about repairing vehicles, and had followed your advice, I would have a vehicle that would not start. I am glad I didn't listen. I provided you, a "Ford Mechanic", with the pertinent information relating to my vehicle, and I got bad advice. This was my first time using JustAnswer.com, and I'm not sure I will ever use it again. If you really need the $20, i will rate you just good enough to give you the money.

No problem I will opt out and I believe that way you will not be charged. I apologize for the incorrect info.