Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

The shifter locked in park. Brake lights do not work. The

Customer Question

The shifter locked in park. Brake lights do not work. The brake interlock switch has been replaced with no change in condition. Currently using the manual override to drive the truck without brake lights. Where is the shifter lock solenoid located?
JA: Have you checked the voltage at the swtich for the lights?
Customer: No, it's my Son's truck, he's in NC and I'm in AR. What does the light voltage got to do with the shifter lock solenoid?
JA: What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: 2008 F250 Super Duty 6.4
JA: Are you fixing your F-250 Super Duty yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Am I talking with a real person or a computer program?
JA: I'm an assistant to the Ford Mechanic. I work with them to help customers like you.
Customer: Sorry I asked, but I previously gave you that information. My son is working on this truck in NC, I'm in AR trying to get some information to help him with this trouble. He has already changed the brake interlock switch with no results.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: He can manually override the lock to drive the truck, but has no brake lights.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Ford
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 month ago.

The problem is the brake pedal position switch mounted on he brake pedal. Have your son replace that switch and it all should be working properly. See below.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
That is the switch he has already replaced. This did not fix the problem. My question was
, "where is the Shift Interlock Solenoid located?"

The shift interlock does not effect the brake lights.

Have him check fuses 12 and 13 in the engine bay fuse box. The brake lights and shift interlock get the signal from the brake pedal position switch.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Understood. The fuses where checked good but replaced anyway, no help. The shift interlock solenoid is not unlocking and the shifter is stuck in park. That is why he has to manually override the lock to drive it. I was thinking to change the shift interlock solenoid if we could find out where it is.

The only thing that bothers me is that there are no brake lights. You state the fuses are good and he replaced the brake light switch. I need hem to check for power at the brake light switch. If no power at the brake light switch. There is either a bad fuse or a broken wire. All the circuits go through the brake light switch.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
My son had already gone through all the textbook steps to troubleshoot this situation. So far you have quoted these same steps to me. They have not corrected the problem. In earlier communiques with your service, I requested the location for the shift lock solenoid. You have not yet provided me with this information. Instead, you told me it did not effect the brake lights. Since our last exchange, my son has located 2 people who have experienced his exact symptoms. They both went through the same trouble getting the problem fixed. Their experts said the same things you have said--no doubt what Ford teaches. Both of them found and replaced their shift lock solenoids and the problems was fixed, 100%. My son now knows where the shift lock solenoid is located and has purchased a new replacement. I will let you know the results when he installs it.
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 1 month ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose), my normal schedule online is around lunch and after dinner past midnight.

The prior tech has opted out. Would you like me to try?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
My son will replace the shift lock solenoid probably this weekend. If the result is negative, yes we will need advice. If positive, I'll inform you. Thanks.

Sounds good, just let me know if or when you do need me to help.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks.

Your welcome