AMEDEE
AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN
Experience:  ASE CERTIFIED TECHNICIAN ADVANCED LEVEL SPECIALIST. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

Last year i started my truck and it was sputtering and died.

Customer Question

last year i started my truck and it was sputtering and died. then it would not start. i changed the fuel pressure regulator and it fixed the problem. However, after the truck would be warm, if i turned it off and tried to start it like 20 min later it would sputter on start up. i would turn it off and on the second try it would fire up. after awhile i started noticing it cutting out on the freeway, but not bad. this all went on for a year. today it started running real rough at idle and cutting out while driving alot. I have ran a fuel pressure test. At key on, engine off it is only at 10-15 psi (it still starts up) while running (idle or under load) it is a steady 28-30 psi. I have tested the regulator by inspecting the vacuum line for gas and disconnected the line while it was running. No gas was present in the line and the psi rose like it should have when i took the line off. Also after i turn it off it loses 15 psi right away.
JA: What is the voltage at the battery?
Customer: how did you respond so fast lol the cage in my truck reads normal. 14 volts when running
JA: Are you fixing your MINI yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: huh mini
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Ford
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome!

My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question.

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 month ago.

Can I start by getting your VIN?

Thank you!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
1ftex14h5rkb10969
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for that information. Key on negine off fuel pressure specs are 35 to 45 psi and it should not leak down with the engine off (or key on engine off). If it does, it is likely a bad check ball in the fuel pump going bad and the fuel pump will need to be replaced. That will get you back up and running good again!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
ok cool. the pump is located in the tank right?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
what is a check ball?
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 month ago.

YES, the fuel pump is located in the fuel tank. There is a check ball inside the fuel pump that only allows fuel one way (to the engine). But yours has failed so it is allowing fuel back into the fuel tank when the fuel pump stops running.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
is it not weird that it reads 10 psi and still starts up? and what is the spec for running? its at 30 psi. if its at 30 psi would that not indicate the pump is pumping adequate
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
oh i see
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 month ago.

The engine can start and run on low fuel pressure. But it wont run very good.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
thank you
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 month ago.

Your welcome!

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 month ago.

I am glad I can help!

It has been a pleasure working with you. Please dont forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "5 STAR SERVICE" for assisting you today.

Keep in mind, we can still continue this conversation at no further cost to you even after you rate my answer. Just reply back to me using this page and I will get it and get back to you ASAP!

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 month ago.

You should see the rating system towards the top of the page.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
i changed the fuel pump and all pressure is normal now. But.... the problem is still happening!! it runs better if i drop it into 2nd (its a 3 speed automatic). could it be the ignition module? please help
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 month ago.

What is the fuel pressure at currently under a load?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
30 psi and 35 psi key on engine off and holds pressure when off
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 month ago.

Ok, excellent!

Can you explain a bit more in detail of what is happening under a load?

Does the engine misfire or bog down?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
cutting out at idle and with a load. runs better in low gear.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 month ago.

Any codes in the computer?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
well the check engine light is not on. will it still send a code?
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 month ago.

YES, it is possible..

However, here are some possible causes.

MAP/MAF sensor
Oxygen sensor
Distributor (engine speed pickup)
secondary tune up components
Throttle position sensor

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
ok ill check for codes. thanks
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
you dont think it could be ignition module
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 month ago.

Hello!

In theory, YES. It could be bad. However, based on my experience, if the ignition module were bad, the engine simply would not start. By yes, you can certainly check it out as it would not hurt just to be sure.

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 month ago.

I am glad I can help!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I already rated you. Money had been deducted from my account
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 month ago.

No Sir. The rating process is seperate. You should see the rating system towards the top of the page.

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 month ago.

Hello! It'sCustomerfrom just answer.

I am just checking in to see if you need any further assistance and also to ensure that you are happy with my assistance? Please let me know either way and I will be happy to help!