Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

Ford F 350 super duty sometimes engine cranks over but will

Customer Question

Ford F 350 super duty sometimes engine cranks over but will not start this has been going on for two years teh dealers cant figure it out please hepl
JA: Have you checked the engine's fuel supply? And the spark plugs -- are they all working?
Customer: its a diesel fuel supply is good
JA: What year is your E-350 Super Duty?
Customer: i am sorry its is f350 2005
JA: Are you fixing your E-350 Super Duty yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: its has bin taken to dealer 4 times for ithis problem when taken to dealer it starts no coads
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no codes
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Pete replied 1 month ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

When it doesnt start what do you have to do to get it to start?

Was the dealer ever able to duplicate the issue?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
1. I send the truck to dealer
2. No
3.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 month ago.

Do you notice any other electrical issues when it will not start?

Is anything after market installed like a remote start or alarm system at all?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The answers or no and no
Expert:  Pete replied 1 month ago.

O.k.,this can be a difficult one to answer from here with all of the components that can fail or act up and cause this issue.It is possible this is the injection pump supplying low fuel rail pressure intermittently as this can be common.I have also seen issues with the electronic ignition switch in some cases not sending all the signals needed intermittently needing replaced.But there is a large number of different components that can cause this and these are common components listed here.

The best thing to do as I have had to do myself before with my customers is to see if the dealer will take and hold onto your vehicle for a few days or more so they can duplicate the fault.Then once duplicated then they can test/diagnose the issue to help locate which component is at fault needing replaced.I have had to ask my customers in the past before with faults like this here if this is an option,this way I could operate it and duplicate the issue with my test equipment connected to locate the fault.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Call me little disappointed in the answer it's typically dealers and friends mechanics basically say the same thing but nobody can find it so I'd like to have the $23 back thank you
Expert:  Pete replied 1 month ago.

I apologize that this didnt help here.If you would like I can open your question for others here to see if anyone else can assist further as someone else may know more on what to do or check here.Let me know if this is something you would like to do.

Thanks Pete