Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems
Experience:  Owner at Carolina Auto Service & Sales , 20 years experience in Foreign & Domestic Vehicles
45790705

1993 Taurus SHO 3.2 V6 was running rough and running warmer

Customer Question

1993 Taurus SHO 3.2 V6 was running rough and running warmer than normal (although not overheating) and pulled up a code for the EGR valve not working properly. We cleaned the MAF sensor and it made it run worse. We replaced the EGR valve and the battery was unhooked the battery for about an hour. The car is running even worse, runs very rough, idles rough and occasionally backfires. Also, is running on the high end of normal, nearly to the point of overheating. I'm thinking maybe catalytic convertor. What suggestions do you have?
JA: Does the engine stall right after starting? And what about hesitation or jerking during acceleration?
Customer: When it is first started in the day it will die when put in gear. I restart it and it starts right away and idles and runs rough. Yes, there is quite a bit of hesitation and jerking on acceleration.
JA: Are you fixing your Taurus SHO yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes, working on it ourselves. We've cleaned the MAF sensor and that made it worse. We've replaced the EGR valve and there was no improvement.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: It also gives off "fumes" occaionally that you can't really smell strongly, but it's almost like an alcohol fume and it kind of takes your breath away.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

hey how are you

1- do you have an obdI scanner , so we can retrieve faults codes and get fuel trim readings ?

2- is check engine light flashing ?

3- was the EGR tube cleaned or checked for restriction ?

4- catalytic , possibility ,what is mileage ?if u get fuel trims reading i can tell you if clogged ?

5- have you pulled plugs and checked ?

6- any vacuum leaks, ON A COLD ENGINE IF YOU spray starting fluid around that intake , does the engine surge up on rpm when you spray , any leaks?

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
We don't have a code scanner. The check engine light is not flashing, but the air bag light flashes in a code pattern. The EGR tube was not checked or cleaned. Mileage is just over 160,000. Haven't pulled any plugs, because the back ones are so hard to get to. We have new plugs and wires, but haven't changed them yet for that reason. Have not checked for vacuum leaks, yet but will do that and get back with you. How long do I have to get back with you on this?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
How do you clean and check the EGR tube?

we take it out completely andcleaned on a the bench , brake parts cleaner and shop air

1. Disconnect the EGR sensor tube at the EGR valve. 2. Remove the EGR mounting bolts and remove the EGR valve. Discard the old EGR valve gasket. 3. Clean all mating surfaces being careful not to get foreign material in the intake manifold. 4. Install the EGR tube to the EGR valve and finger tighten the nut. 5. Using a new gasket, install the EGR valve. Torque the mounting screws to 11-16 lb. ft. (15-23 Nm). 6. Torque the EGR tube nut to 11-16 lb. ft. (15-23 Nm). 7. Connect the EGR vacuum line. 8. START the engine and check for exhaust leaks.

Make sure this is not clogged

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Does a phone call cost extra?

I sent you a Phone call offer , that is the lowest possible

Just let me know or just accept on screnn and i can call you if you like

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I checked and couldn't find any vacuum leaks. I took the vacuum line from the EGR valve while it was running and it had no effect at all.

is there vacuum on that line

is the egr wor*****, *****t sound like it , the engine should have stumbled

EGR Tube Removal

1. Disconnect the Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) tube nut at the manifold connector.

2. Remove the differential pressure feedback EGR system vacuum hoses from the EGR tube.

3. Remove the nuts and the EGR tube. ^ Discard the gasket. INSTALLATION 1. To install, reverse the removal procedure. ^ Clean both sealing surfaces with metal surface cleaner. Install a new EGR valve gasket. NOTE: The EGR valve sealing surfaces are soft metal.

Make sure this DPFE (Differential Pressure Feedback sensor ) is working

IF ORIGINAL Change IT

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It wasn't to operating temperature when I checked that. My brother thought it should have been, so I'll be checking that again. It died while it was sitting idling while I was trying to bring it to temp.

ok sounds good let me know

Please let me know if you need anything else on it, just reply back and we will continue

If you are good, Please Kindly Rate Me.

A 5 Star Rating is much Appreciated

If you feel I have not been helpful Please DO NOT RATE ME BAD OR POOR (1 or 2 stars) ,You can always ask me again or I can opt out of your question & open it for another expert ,that will provide you with more or better assistance on this issue

Please keep in mind that when you rate me , it does not end our conversation.

you can always come back to this conversation and ask me any follow up question you may have on this issue

(you can copy this link page & paste it in your browser when ready and it will open up our conversation again)

Thank You
Chad Farhat

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
it finally started flashing a trouble code, but we can't find info for it. What does 635 mean?

That is an EGR circuit malfunction code .

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
What is our next step? Does that mean that the new EGR valve that we put on wasn't any good?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Also, I forgot to tell you earlier that the flex pipe downstream from the engine has a hole in it.

it can be that we bought a bad new one or it means the circuit is malfunctioning,power & ground are intermittent

the control comes from PCM ( power terrain module) car computer). next you have to pin out the PCM circuit back to the EGR .

the flex pipe hole not good , replace it or repair it

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
We've got the flex pipe replacement, but haven't done it yet. That's next on the agenda. I'm not sure what you mean by "pin out the PCM circuit back to the EGR".
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Is there a way to test the EGR valve while it is off the car? For example, when you test a thermostat by putting it in hot water to see if it is opening and closing?

the wire from the pcm to egr needs to be checked for continuity & a break in the wire causing the condition ?

that mean you unplug the egr and the PCM and find the wire and test it from both ends fro continuity ?

u can test the egr using a a handheld vacuum pump ,the egr if new is working question is if the pcm commanding the egr solenoid to activate or not.

i sent you a circuit as an example, that is not your circuit , but there should be 2 wires on your egr , one wire goes back to PCM.

i don't have the circuit for 1993 , i can only go back 20 years on the electrical for this year car

are we good or you have more question, i m about to sign off in 5 minutes let me know

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
There aren't any wires going to the EGR. Also, can we pick this conversation up tomorrow?

you can not with me since i will be gone for 3 days in row , i will opt out of your question & open it for another expert to help you & they will have more info on it then me & can assist you further on this one .

good luck to you.

just don't reply back to me and wait for another expert, because if you reply back it will lock question back to me and no other expert will see it .

just wait and another expert will pick it up .

good luck to you