Fix It Man
Fix It Man, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, AA Degree Auto/Diesel
1627031

2002 Windstar started bucking on highway after 100 miles of

Customer Question

2002 Windstar started bucking on highway after 100 miles of no problems. Fluids are all fine, after refuling, engine light came on and funny smell in car. We were only a mile from home car now parked.
JA: Has your vehicled stalled? Has anyone run a diagnostic test to pull the trouble code?
Customer: Never stalled, no diagnostic test yet
JA: Are you fixing your Windstar yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No I'm not a mechanic-but wife needed to go to an event that over a 120 miles away tomorrow-I'm not sure it's OK to drive the car
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Ford
Expert:  Fix It Man replied 6 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** you tell me if the check engine light is coming on? If so is it flashing?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
After fuling-up the light came on & I smelled an odd mint order in car I opened all the windows and checked the gas cap when we got home about a mile from the gas station cap was on correct
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Sorry the light was solid not flashing

Thank you. You would need to have the computer scanned for codes to see what comes up. Most auto parts stores will do this for free. If you bring me the codes it will help with the diagnosis. It sounds like you may have a fuel pump failure that is starting or a catalytic converter that has failed.